Steps to Career Success
1) Learn more about yourself via Career Assessments:
- Comprehensive assessment which includes interests, values and skills - My Next Move; Use your RIASEC code to discover careers on O*Net
- Personality -16 Personalities and/or Truity.com and/or Humanmetrics.com
- Skills - CareerOneStop Skills Matcher
- Values - Work Values Inventory
2) Learn more about career options that match your interests through watching career videos, taking related classes, participating in PVCC clubs or meet-ups, talking with professionals / networking, finding a mentor and/or job shadowing experiences. Here are some good career/labor market resources:
- America's Career Infonet
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Virginia Labor Market Information
- ETC Two Year College Starting Salary Program
- How To Become Any Career
- Learn How To Become: Find Your Dream Career
- O*Net Online
- Virginia Education Wizard
- What Can I Do With This Major?
- CareerOneStop - Explore videos organized into 16 career clusters or related types of work.
- Dr. Kit - Employees in different professions answer questions in an informational interview format.
- My Next Move - View videos by future job opportunities, the green economy, and apprenticeship programs.
- PVCC Career Chats with Employers and Alumni/Faculty
3) Create your introduction/professional documents (resume, cover/thank you letters, LinkedIn, etc.) to help you land interviews/jobs.
- Resume Writing Advice and Cover Letter Advice
- Jefferson Madison Regional Library has a subscription to Career Transitions (click on Business Info; CT includes information on resumes, cover letters, interviewing and career assessment).
- Introduction/30-second Commercial and Interview Preparation
- Networking Advice and LinkedIn Tips
4) Get experience through volunteering, interning or even temporary employment. These are easier ways to gain access to employers which often lead to long term employment.
- Volunteering - search by area of interest on United Way
- Interning - check out PVCC's site for listings and tips.
- Temporary employment - check out UVA's listing of local agencies.
- Job Searching - check out PVCC's site for listings and tips.
5) Decide whether your career target is a good fit. If not, consider repeating these steps since finding a great career path is often a process.