Piedmont Virginia Community College (PVCC) provides its Web site, catalog, handbooks, printed and digital class schedules and any other printed materials or electronic media, for your general guidance. PVCC does not guarantee that the information contained within them, including, but not limited to, the contents of any page that resides under the Domain Naming System (DNS) registrations of www.pvcc.edu, www.facebook.com/PiedmontVaCC, www.twitter.com/PiedmontVaCC, or www.youtube.com/PVCCVIRGINIA, are up-to-date, complete and accurate. Individuals assume any risks associated with relying upon such information without checking other credible sources, such as an advisor in PVCC's Admissions and Advising Center. Links to other materials and Web sites provided in these sources are also for information purposes only and do not constitute PVCC's endorsement of products or services referenced in such materials.
In addition, a student's or prospective student's reliance upon information contained within these sources, or individual program catalogs, handbooks, printed or digital class schedules, or other printed materials or electronic media, when making academic decisions does not constitute, and should not be construed as, a contract with PVCC. Further, PVCC reserves the right to make changes to any provision or requirement within these sources, as well as changes to any curriculum or program, whether during a student's enrollment or otherwise.
We strongly encourage current and prospective students to confer with an advisor in PVCC's Admissions and Advising Center for the most credible information about the College's programs and services.
Piedmont Virginia Community College is an equal opportunity institution providing educational and employment opportunities, programs, services, and activities. PVCC does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, family medical history or genetic information, military service, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, or any other non-merit base factor. The College also prohibits sexual harassment including sexual violence or misconduct. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding any of these policies: Human Resources Manager, 501 College Dr., Main Building, Room M810, Charlottesville, VA 22902; 434.961.6567.
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia and of Piedmont Virginia Community College that personal information about citizens will be collected only to the extent necessary to provide required services or benefits, that only appropriate information will be collected and that citizens shall understand the reasons information is collected and be able to examine their personal records which are maintained by a public body.
This Web site:
Collects no personal information.
Does not place a "cookie" on your computer.
Will not track your movements through the Web site.
Questions or comments concerning the content of this Web site may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Release of Information About Students (FERPA)
PVCC complies with FERPA, the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, when releasing information about students. FERPA permits the following directory information to be released: name, address, telephone listing, electronic email address, date of birth, dates of attendance, honors earned, programs of enrollment and degrees and the diplomas or certificates earned.
Social Security Number
To protect the integrity of our students’ social security numbers, students are assigned a student EMPID number when they submit a Piedmont Virginia Community College Application for Admission. You should use your EMPID number to access your education records, as needed.
As a PVCC student, you have the ability to maintain the privacy of your student record. If you do not want PVCC to disclose information from your educational records without your prior written consent, you must log into MyPVCC to restrict your information in your record. Instructions for restricting any or all of your information are below.
If you have any questions regarding the privacy of your student record or about FERPA, please contact the Admissions & Advising Center at 434.961.6551 or email@example.com.
Right to Consent to Disclosure
One exception which permits disclosure without consent is a disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is an individual employed by PVCC or the Virginia Community College System in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position. Other typical exceptions include:
- High school dual enrolled or concurrent enrolled students
- Specific official review for audits or evaluation
- Financial Aid staff
- Campus Security personnel
- Accrediting bodies
- Appropriate officials in cases of health or safety emergencies
- PVCC or Virginia Community College System contracted individuals or companies
- A student serving on an official committee at PVCC
- A school official or faculty member who has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility
- Federal Law, such as the Solomon Amendment
How Students Can Set Privacy on Their Student Records Through MyPVCC
- Navigate to the PVCC Web site at www.pvcc.edu.
- Click the MyPVCC link (yellow ribbon at top right of home page).
- Enter your user name and password.
- Click the VCCS SIS Student Information link.
- Click the Student Center link. (FYI - This is where students go to update addresses and telephone numbers.)
- Click the User Preferences link.
- Click the FERPA RESTRICTIONS link.
- Click the green box labeled Edit FERPA/Directory Restrictions.
- You will see all of the types of student information -- email, address, etc. If there is any information that you wish to be withheld from any outside agency/organization, you must click the box beside that particular type of information.
- Once you have completed your privacy settings, click the SAVE button.
- NOTE! Once you save this information, PVCC will not release your restricted items unless you provide written permission to do so. Please keep this in mind if you know that someone/some agency will be verifying any of your educational information.
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
The Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), is located at §2.2-3700 et seq. FOIA guarantees citizens of the Commonwealth and representatives of the media access to public records held by public bodies, public officials, and public employees.
The PVCC Policy on FOIA, which contains your FOIA rights and PVCC's responsibility to respond, can be found at http://www.pvcc.edu/sites/www.pvcc.edu/files/media/policy_foia.pdf
To request records from PVCC, you may direct your request to Rebecca Parkhill, FOIA Officer. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the main campus mailing address below.
A public body may make reasonable charges not to exceed its actual cost incurred in accessing, duplicating, supplying, or searching for the requested records. No public body shall impose any extraneous, intermediary, or surplus fees or expenses to recoup the general costs associated with creating or maintaining records or transacting the general business of the public body. Any duplicating fee charged by a public body shall not exceed the actual cost of duplication. All charges for the supplying of requested records shall be estimated in advance at the request of the citizen as set forth in subsection F of § 2.2-3704 of the Code of Virginia.