Student Success Office

You may schedule appointments (in-person, Zoom, and phone) through your MyPVCC account using Navigate Student or by contacting the Admissions and Advising Center at 434.961.6581.

Making Appointments through Navigate:
Step 1: Log in to MyPVCC
Step 2: Click the “Navigate Student” icon
Step 3: Click “Appointments” on the left side of the screen
Step 4: Follow the instructions on the screen

View PDF SSO Appointment Instructions 

Ready to Pivot? Click here for other healthcare career options.

Flyer describing accessing the office




The Student Success Office is deeply committed to providing academic and personal support to students as they identify and achieve their educational and personal goals. We seek to provide a supportive, encouraging, and understanding environment where each of our students may seek transformation and improvement. We strive to empower students to reach their personal definition of success by recognizing and utilizing their internal and external resources. Our office is committed to the belief that every unique individual has the power to change his or her own life through education. 





We Can Help You:

  • Define, clarify, and achieve educational and personal goals
  • Find appropriate resources to address any potential obstacles or barriers
  • Help you make informed choices regarding academic decisions
  • Provide encouragement and support throughout your pursuit of education

Student Success Office Flyer

Great Resources!

Great Apps We've Discovered That Will Help You Succeed!

ZOOM Cloud Meetings: Start or join meetings with faculty & staff, a great tool for online learning. All PVCC students have a free account through the VCCS which is found when you log into MyPVCC. Start the Zoom app on your computer or device, select Sign In, now select Sign in with SSO, if prompted, then choose "I know my company domain" and enter VCCS and click Continue. Enter your MyPVCC Username and Password. You should now be logged into the Zoom app with your PVCC email account. Any device

1-3-5 List : 1 big thing; 3 medium things; 5 small things; this helps to prioritize your day. Any device
Tomato Timer : 25 Minute intervals that stops you to take a much-needed brain break. Any device
Evernote : Allows the user to have detailed notes and aids in stronger study skills. Any device
Happify : Answer a few questions, play games fit to your stress level and then make it a habit. Tap "Get Started." Any device
Breathe2relax : This teaches the user about breathing techniques that will help them stay calm and relaxed during stressful time. Any device
Quizlet : Allows user to make flashcards and play various games with the material enter for a better learning experience. Any device
Mint : Allows the user to track money spent and saved and can help with understanding what is most important. Any device
Forest : Stay focused : Allows you to set a timer to resist using your phone, a tree grows while you resist the temptation.

Additional Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between a Student Success Advisor and my regular Academic Advisor?

The Student Success Office is all about overcoming obstacles that impede your development as an educated person and a whole individual. While we certainly do provide academic advising, we enjoy working over an extended period of time with you to help you find the strength and resources necessary to succeed at PVCC and in life.

What does SAP mean?

SAP stands for Standards of Academic Progress.  It is a term used by the Federal Government to express the rules and regulations that you must follow in order to keep your financial aid.

What does Financial Aid Warning mean?

Once your GPA or Completion Rate does not match what is required for financial aid then you will have one semester of Financial Aid Warning with no penalty. Please see (link) for financial aid requirements and your Student Success Advisor for assistance.

What does Financial Aid Suspension mean?

When your semester of financial aid penalty is done and your grades have posted, if you were not able to bring your GPA and/or Completion Rate up to the amount needed you will lose your aid. This is also referred to as your aid will be “suspended."

What should I do if my aid gets suspended?

While we hope that students come to see us before this happens, if your aid has now been suspended it is recommended that you come speak with a Student Success Advisor as soon as possible. There is an appeal process to try and get your financial aid eligibility back.

Help, I failed a class, what should I do now?

If you have failed or received a low grade on a class, please come speak to us as soon as possible. You may repeat classes to replace the old grades in your GPA but that is not always the only or best solution.

What does Academic Warning mean?

When a student receives a failing grade in any class or earns less than a 2.0 semester GPA then they will receive a notice stating that they finished the semester in a status of Academic Warning.  This does not always negatively impact financial aid, but it is recommended that you come speak with a Student Success Advisor.

What does Academic Probation mean?

When a student has accumulated more than 12 GPA credits and has less than a 1.5 GPA they will be on a status of Academic Probation. The student will receive a letter and have to meet with a Student Success Advisor to register for following semesters.

Where can I find my GPA and how can I calculate it?

You can find your GPA on your Academic Transcript.  Your transcript can be found by logging in to MyPVCC and clicking on SIS: Student Information System, then “View Unofficial Transcript.”

How can I improve my test and paper grades?

Are you aware that PVCC has tutoring and academic coaching for all students? We have a first rate First Quadrant Math Center and an awesome Writing Center. Don’t forget that your teachers will meet with you, email, or speak with you out of class too.

How can I improve my time management and study skills?

These are so important! If you’re ready to improve in these areas, if you’re ready to make this change, then our Academic Coaches are ready for you. Contact Coordinator of Academic Services Todd Parks to learn more at

I am considering dropping out of school, what should I do?

Don’t do it! Come and speak with us instead, or speak with your instructor. There may be resources that we know about that can help you in choosing to make such an important decision. In some cases, withdrawing is the right thing to do so come speak with us and we will help you evaluate ALL your options.

I have lost my financial aid – is there a way to get it back?

Yes, you may be able to become eligible for financial aid again. Please meet with the Student Success Office to create a plan on how to get back on track!

How do I know whether or not I should appeal my financial aid suspension?

Appeals are encouraged if you had an extenuating medical or emotional problem that negatively impacted your academic performance. You may submit a written appeal to PVCC's Financial Aid Office if your financial aid has been suspended. For more information, please click here:

If I am on financial aid suspension does that mean I cannot attend school at all?

No. You can still attend PVCC, you just cannot receive federal aid while you are on financial aid suspension.