Inclement Weather Information
Safety is our highest priority.
Weather or emergencies may require Piedmont Virginia Community College (PVCC) administrators to periodically delay opening or closing the College. We monitor the weather services and all emergency communications regarding the weather event, as conditions can change from one minute to the next.
Inclement Weather Guidelines
PVCC classes operate as normal, and the College is open when primary and most secondary roads are passable. PVCC may cancel on-campus classes, delay the start of on-campus classes, or close early in the event of inclement weather. Decisions are made in a timely manner, usually by 6 a.m. in the morning (for closure or a delayed opening) or by 3 p.m. (for an evening closure).
Decisions to delay the start of classes or to cancel classes affect the main campus and all PVCC sites, including the Giuseppe Center in Greene County. All online classes (online anytime and online scheduled time) will operate as normal in the event of inclement weather even if on-campus classes are canceled or delayed.
How to Obtain College Delay/Closure Information
Students, staff, and faculty are encouraged to use the following resources to obtain delay/closure information:
- Sign up for immediate email and text notifications. Log in to Omnilert Emergency Notifications and look for emergency notification information.
- Visit the PVCC home page. Delay/closure information will be posted at the top of the home page.
- Inclement weather decisions will also be shared with local television stations, NBC29 and CBS19.
- Inclement weather decisions will also be shared with local radio stations: Charlottesville stations, WKCI/WKDW/WSVO in Staunton/Waynesboro, WFLO in Farmville, and WVTF in Roanoke.
The following PVCC phone numbers will also have delay/closing information:
- PVCC main phone: 434.977.3900
- PVCC Inclement weather/emergency message line: 434.971.6673