The internship program at PVCC offers work experience in business, industry, government, nonprofits or professional associations while you are enrolled as a student at PVCC. Practical work experience coupled with your academic studies can help you achieve your career goals and educational objectives.
Internships may be paid or unpaid. You also may use your current employer as an internship site, provided the work you perform is related to your program of study and includes new learning experiences and objectives. Internship opportunities are offered through the following programs of study:
- Administrative Support
- Business Management
- Computer and Network Support
- Construction Management
- Criminal Justice / Police Science
- Culinary Arts / Professional Cooking
- Electronics and Computer Technology
- Graphic Design
- Information Systems Technology - Cybersecurity Specialization
How do I get STARTED WITH an internship?
- Review the Student Information Packet (either click here or scroll to the bottom for the document).
- Research internship opportunities (see below). Consider internship opportunities available through your professional network.
- Email email@example.com for an appointment to review internship requirements / expectations.
The appointment with Career Services will answer all of your internship questions. Including:
- How an internship can help you get a job
- Which employers utilize PVCC interns and how to get an internship
- The internship course registration process
- How many hours a week you will work to earn credits
- Other academic requirements you will be expected to complete during the semester
- How to make a lasting positive impression at your internship
- How to update your resume to showcase your academic accomplishments
How do I find internship opportunities?
Research local employers:
- Start with PVCC's Job listing resources - JobNet, Facebook and Twitter
- View a list of employers in Virginia by Major (Buzzfile)
- Chamber of Commerce List of Members
- United Way Volunteer Center
- Utilize LinkedIn to find people connections to local organizations
Check out nearby employer or industry-based resources:
Multiple Areas of Study:
- CATO Institute in DC seeks paid ($1000/month) Summer Research or Communications Interns interested in public policy geared toward free markets / limited government (on multiple topics: healthcare, education, taxation, foreign affairs, criminal justice, etc). Apply by 2/15/19
- Charlottesville Opera has paid internships (typically a $500 stipend) in a number of areas: Artistic Administration, Education, Marketing, and Music.
- Charlottesville Community Attention Youth Internship Program (CAYIP) places students ages 14-21 in local internships that pay a stipend = ~$8/hour. Appl (link is external)y by 4/30.
- Crutchfield seeks paid ($13-$15/hour) Summer Interns in the following areas: IT/Data, Visual Designer (graphic arts) and Social Media. Apply by 2/1/19.
- Defense Intelligency Agency seeks paid interns with 60+ credits and enrollment in a 4-year program in the following areas: engineering, business administration, multiple sciences, computer science, foreign studies/international relations, human resources, public administration, legal and more.
- Dominion Energy seeks paid Summer Interns in the following areas: Engineering Interns, Business/Finance/Marketing/Communications Interns and Environmental/Construction/Land Interns
- K2 Dental Arts seeks Entrepreneurial Interns, Clinical Interns and Associates
- Kings Dominion seeks paid summer interns in multiple areas: human resources, financial accounting, culinary/food & beverage, information technology, security, merchandising and more! Housing provided for nominal fee.
- Mind & Life Institute seeks interns in the following areas: accounting, communications, outreach, philanthropy and programs.
- NASA Langley offers a number of PAID summer internships in Engineering, Accounting, Procurement, Physical Science and Technician. February deadline dates to apply.
- Northrop Grumman has paid summer internships in Engineering, Project Management, Business & Cyber
- The Boar's Head Resort offers Culinary, Hospitality Management, Marketing and more Internships.
- The Borgen Project, an innovative campaign to improve global poverty seeks interns/volunteers who can telecommute. Areas include PR/marketing, Journalism, Writing/Editing, Human Resources, and Political Affairs.
- The Koch Internship Program (KIP) seeks paid interns interested in learning more about non-profits for either spring, summer or fall. Areas include communications, fundraising, grants admin, human resources, market research, operations, education, policy/research, and technology.
- Thomas Jefferson Foundation (Monticello) seeks Summer Interns (some paid; some unpaid) in a number of areas: Curitorial, Education, Development, Horticulture, Human Resources, Marketing, Restoration, Videography, Special Events.
- UpScale Security Consulting seeks Cybersecurity and Police Science AAS Interns.
- Virginia Department of Forestry has paid summer internships ($8.25/hour) for students interested in natural resources/forestry science, conservation, hospitality/recreation, GIS and business administration. Apply by 3/23.
- Virginia Department of Health Professions has paid summer internships ($11/hour) for students from Health, Criminal Justice, Office Administration, Government, Mass Communications, and Humanities programs! Apply by 3/16.
- Washington DC WiSE / WISH Internship Program seeks students interested in being placed into MANY different DC-based internships (housing and placement fee would apply but scholarships are available) PLUS they seek interns to support their program (unpaid but housing provided!): Photography & Graphic Design, Event Planning & Social Media, Business Management and Sales & Marketing.
- Wolf Trap Summer Opportunities (NoVa). Paid internships in Accounting, Box Office, Communications / Marketing, Development, Education and IT. Apply by 2/1.
- The Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act may be able to help youth ages 18-24 find/fund local internships. For more information, email Jennifer Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- U.S. Forest Service hires summer Recreation Aids, Trail Crew Members and Customer Service Representatives ($12.74/hour). Must apply between 10/16-10/22, 2018.
- Big Data Science Internships (at bottom), Resources and Tips
- CvilleREA - Charlottesville Renewable Energy Alliance
- Devhub seeks a computer science / data analytics / networking intern to work on development team projects.
- iDTech is hiring for summer tech camp staff where internship credit hours can be awarded as well. Choose from 150 locations (UVA is one of them).
- Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratories (in Maryland) seeks Summer STEM Interns (both college and high school levels)
- LumaCyte, an advanced research/bioanalytical instrumentation company seeks an Instruments Technician intern (for 3 months) which could lead to a FT job upon successful completion of the internship.
- National Ground Intelligence Center (NGIC) seeks paid Interns for Summer 2020 geared toward STEM. Must be a 1st or 2nd year full-time student eligible for a Top Secret clearance. Email your resume/cover letter to email@example.com by 12/31/2018 (the process is competitive where the Top Secret Clearance can take a year to process).
- National Radio Astronomy Observatory Summer Research Program. Apply over winter break; offers made on 3/1. As part of the Va/NC Alliance for Minority Participation, NRAO also has summer research openings for a Software Developer, Software Plotter Developer & a CDL Cosmic Microwave Electrical Receiver Developer. Apply here by 4/5 (extended deadline from 2/15).
- Novetta has cybersecurity/IT/engineering internships (and jobs) across the state/country, including Charlottesville.
- The Office of Science / U.S. Dept. of Energy seeks paid research interns (850+ in 17 different labs; one in Newport News VA) majoring in Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM). Apply by 10/9/18.
- RIDGID Products (in Orange VA) seeks an I.T./Engineering Intern. Apply by 4/30.
- Rivanna Water & Sewer Authority seeks paid Interns ($12.50/hour) for IT/Cybersecurity, Engineering, Water Resources & Safety. Apply by 2/18/19.
- U.S. Dept. of Energy / Office of Science seeks paid summer STEM Interns. Apply by 1/10/19.
- UVA School of Engineering's Office of Wireless Health seeks summer paid undergraduate researchers. Apply by 2/1.
- UVA Finance Office seeks a paid PT Technology Support Intern ($15-$20/hour depending on experience).
- VA-NC Alliance for Minority Participation offers a paid Summer STEM Research Program. Apply by 2/15. Visit their "current opportunities" list to find other opportunities.
- Virginia Commonwealth STEM Industry Internship Program. Features paid internships in IT, Cybersecurity, Engineering, Physical Science & Financial majors.
- Virginia Panel Corporation seeks a paid Engineering Intern w/ either mechanical or electrical engineering and CAD experience.
- Virginia Space Grant Consortium (VSGC) seeks 20+ community college students for paid Summer NASA Research positions at either Langley or Goddard Space Centers. Apply by 2/26/19.
- Virginia Tech's Multicultural Academic Opportunities Program for Summer Research Internships. Apply by 2/22/19.
- Albemarle County Public Schools seeks an Interior Design Specialist intern. $14/hour.
- Atlantic Research Group seeks a paid summer Human Resources intern in their Charlottesville office. $12/hour. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
- Charlottesville's Downtown Business Association seeks a volunteer Marketing / Communications Intern.
- Charlottesville Tom Sox seeks sports operations/event management, media and 2-3 mascots
- Jefferson Area Board of Aging seeks a volunteer office administrative assistant intern. Email Carleigh Showalter for more information.
- Klockner Barrier Films seeks a PAID Legal / Compliance Intern. $15/hour. Email resume/cover letter to Christi.Mayo@kpfilms.com.
- Mutual of Omaha seeks a PAID summer intern to learn more about insurance / finance. $10/hour for 10 weeks.
- Primerica seeks interns interested in learning about financial services and wealth management. Training could lead to financial licenses. For more information or to apply, email Phil Conjerti.
- Shine Systems seeks a paid Administrative Intern (40 hours/month).
- The Arc of the Piedmont seeks volunteer accounting interns.
- The Miller Law Group seeks an administrative intern ($10/hour) to assist the Legal Assistant - Ms. Jackson. Email cover letter & resume to email@example.com.
- The National Foster Care Youth & Alumni Policy Council seeks Council Members (ages of 18-26) to serve for 1 year.
- Virginia Dept. of Motor Vehicles offers two Internships as Customer Service Representatives ($12/hour). Apply by 10/15.
- Beck Digital seeks a communications / digital marketing intern and a web development intern.
- Camp Holiday Trails seeks a Photography/Marketing Intern.
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Convention & Visitor's Bureau seeks a Marketing & Media Intern and a Graphic Design & Video Production Intern
- Charlottesville Dept. of Neighborhood Development seeks a paid intern for their planning division. $13.79-$14.48/hour. Graphic design & website management experience needed.
- Country Club Prep seeks a Content Writer / Social Media Intern. Must have a minimum of 1 year in college.
- Destinee Marketing & Consulting seeks a volunteer Social Media Marketing Intern. Apply here.
- FAMM Floor Covering seeks a paid Social Media Intern ($10/hour). Store is in Louisa but can work from home. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Geezeo, a financial tech firm, seeks a paid Marketing Assistant intern ($12/hour) to work 10-15 hours/week.
- Ivy Publications seeks an unpaid Editorial intern. Send resume, cover letter & 3 writing samples to editor@IvyPublications.com.
- JABA seeks a Graphic Design Volunteer Intern to design a services brochure for the elderly. Email email@example.com for more info.
- Oakland School is seeking a Spring/Summer Intern to help design and create a new school website utilizing a Squarespace or Wordpress template. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
- PVCC's Marketing & Media Office seeks a volunteer Intern (or paid if you qualify for work study) to assist with digital photography, social media and eNews. Email for more information or to apply.
- Southern Environmental Law Center seeks a paid Digital Intern ($12/hour) for Spring 2019 semester. Apply by 1/1/19.
- The Arc of the Piedmont seeks a Social Media / Development Intern to support the Director of Development and Community Relations.
- The Legacy Foundation seeks a paid PT Social Media/Marketing Specialist Intern.
- VIDA Group (a Charlottesville-based business consulting firm) is seeking both a Graphic/Webpage Design Intern and a Videography Intern.
- Blue Ridge Area Food Bank is seeking 2 college students to assist with the Summer Food Service Program Sites.
- Blue Trunk Foundation seeks volunteer interns to contribute to making travel accessible for everyone by working with the president or project manager.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Virginia seeks a Data / Evaluation Intern and an Event Planning/Fundraising Intern.
- Campus Vote Project / Democracy Fellow Position @ PVCC. Email email@example.com for more information or to apply.
- The Center for Non-Profit Excellence seeks a programs' intern. Email Andrew Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org, Program Manager, for more info or to apply.
- Charlottesville Climate Collaborative seeks a paid Program Development Assistant Intern (apply by 9/7/18) and year-round Business Outreach Coach Volunteers. Click HERE for their application.
- Chesapeake Conservation Corps Program places 30-35 youth (ages 18-25) to work full-time in the environmental field with a non-profit or government agency for 1 paid year of service ($18,500). Apply by 3/14/19.
- Computers4Kids is seeking interns in a number of areas: grant writing, mentor program, clubhouse program, marketing & communication.
- Delegate David Toscano seeks Legislative & Political Interns. Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
- FBI's internship program accepts applications between 8/24-10/14.
- The First Tee of the Virginia Blue Ridge seeks a PAID Programs' Intern ($12/hour) for the summer / fall semesters (20-35 hours/week). They also seek Volunteers in a number of areas including Coaching, Videography, Photography, Marketing, and Special Events
- The Heather Heyer Foundation seeks volunteer interns to assist with research, social media and writing newsletters. Email resume and cover letter.
- League of Women Voters of Charlottesville seek an unpaid social media intern. Flexible hours (5/week).
- Light House Studios (filmmaking) seeks volunteer Production and Program Support Interns.
- National Museum of African-American History & Culture paid Summer Internships in DC, NC, FL, PA & AL. 2/5/18 informational webinar; 3/15 deadline to apply.
- PACEM, a local organization supporting the homeless, seeks a volunteer Social Media Intern.
- Region Ten seeks a Rehabilitative Intern to help people with disabilities at their Blue Ridge House. Email email@example.com.
- Save our Shores seeks a paid environmental / outdoor education intern. $2500 stipend plus room and board for 10 weeks in Seattle, WA.
- Saint Nicholas Learning Center (Palmyra) seeks FT summer or PT academic year interns ages 16+ to work with children ages 3-12.
- Sugar Hollow Girl Scout Day Camp seeks summer volunteers for 2 camp sessions (July 8-12 and/or July 15-19. If interested, fill out their survey.
- Washington DC Metropolitan Police Dept. seeks part-time or full-time interns who have 36+ credits (sophmore and above).
- WNRN seeks volunteer promotions and music interns to help with station promotions and on-air contests; website management experience required. On-air announcing is not required but available to interns.
- CVS offers internships in both pharmacy and business. Or consider becoming a Pharmacy Technician while you're in school.
- University of Virginia Children's Miracle Network seeks a Program Coordinator Intern (unpaid for the spring; paid for the summer). Apply by 11/26/18.
- University of Virginia Medical School Summer Research Internship Program. Apply by 2/1.
- University of Virginia Mini-Med School program. Apply in the summer for Fall classes (not an internship but GREAT experience).
- Volunteering at local health care facilities can add to your resume - Charlottesville Free Clinic, Sentara/Martha Jefferson Hospital or UVA Hospital
- Keswick Hall & Golf Club seeks a Cook Intern ($11/hour). Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Greenbrier Sporting Club (in WV) seeks Interns in a number of areas to include culinary, accounting, marketing, property development, fitness, etc.
- Greenmont Hopworks seeks a paid ($11/hour) Summer Hop Field Production Intern. Apply by 2/28/19.
- Kjellstrom+Lee seeks summer interns who are interested in learning more about construction.
- Little North Mountain Vineyard in Swope VA is seeking summer viticulture paid interns who want to learn about starting up a vineyard.
- Middle Mountain Farm (near White Hall) seeks Summer Forestry workers ($10/hour).
- Saunder's Brothers Summer Horticulture Paid Internship. $11.50/hour! Wholesale nursery/orchard business. Housing might be provided.
- Trump Winery seeks a paid Gardens & Grounds Intern.
- The Berlin Global Internship Project invites applications from students pursuing degrees in the following fields: communication, film/visual arts, international relations, marketing/PR, business, history & philosophy for full-time, 2-3 month long voluntary internships.