The internship program at PVCC offers work experience in business, industry, government, nonprofits or professional associations while you are enrolled as a student at PVCC. Practical work experience coupled with your academic studies can help you achieve your career goals and educational objectives.
Internships may be paid or unpaid. You also may use your current employer as an internship site, provided the work you perform is related to your program of study and includes new learning experiences and objectives. Internship opportunities are offered through the following programs of study:
- Administrative Support
- Business Management
- Computer and Network Support
- Criminal Justice
- Culinary Arts
- Early Childhood Development
- Electronics and Computer Technology
- Graphic Design
- Health Information Management
- Information Technology
- Medical Administrative Support
- Police Science
- Web Technologies
How do I get STARTED WITH an internship?
- Review the Student Information Packet (either click here or scroll to the bottom for the document).
- Research internship opportunities (see below). Consider internship opportunities available through your professional network.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment to review internship requirements / expectations.
The appointment with Career Services will answer all of your internship questions. Including:
- How an internship can help you get a job
- Which employers utilize PVCC interns and how to get an internship
- The internship course registration process
- How many hours a week you will work to earn credits
- Other academic requirements you will be expected to complete during the semester
- How to make a lasting positive impression at your internship
- How to update your resume to showcase your academic accomplishments
How do I find internship opportunities?
Research local employers:
- Start with PVCC's Job listing resources - JobNet, Facebook and Twitter
- View a list of employers in Virginia by Major (Buzzfile)
- Chamber of Commerce List of Members
- United Way Volunteer Center
- Utilize LinkedIn to find people connections to local organizations
Check out nearby employer or industry-based resources:
Multiple Areas of Study:
- Charlottesville Community Attention Youth Internship Program (CAYIP) places students ages 14-21 in local internships that pay a stipend = ~$8/hour. Appl (link is external)y by 4/30.
- Kings Dominion seeks paid summer interns in multiple areas: human resources, financial accounting, culinary/food & beverage, information technology, security, merchandising and more! Housing provided for nominal fee.
- NASA Langley offers a number of PAID summer internships in Engineering, Accounting, Procurement, Physical Science and Technician. February deadline dates to apply.
- Northrop Grumman has paid summer internships in Engineering, Project Management, Business & Cyber
- The Borgen Project, an innovative campaign to improve global poverty seeks interns/volunteers who can telecommute. Areas include PR/marketing, Journalism, Wrting/Editing, Human Resources, and Political Affairs.
- The Koch Internship Program (KIP) seeks paid interns interested in learning more about non-profits for either spring, summer or fall. Areas include communications, fundraising, grants admin, human resources, market research, operations, education, policy/research, and technology.
- Virginia Department of Forestry has paid summer internships ($8.25/hour) for students interested in natural resources/forestry science, conservation, hospitality/recreation, GIS and business administration. Apply by 3/23.
- Virginia Department of Health Professions has paid summer internships ($11/hour) for students from Health, Criminal Justice, Office Administration, Government, Mass Communications, and Humanities programs! Apply by 3/16.
- Wolf Trap Summer Opportunities
- The Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act may be able to help youth ages 18-24 find/fund local internships. For more information, email Jennifer Johnson at email@example.com.
- CvilleREA - Charlottesville Renewable Energy Alliance
- Devhub seeks a computer science / datay analytics / networking intern to work on development team projects.
- iDTech is hiring for summer tech camp staff where internship credit hours can be awarded as well. Choose from 150 locations (UVA is one of them).
- LumaCyte, an advanced research/bioanalytical instrumentation company seeks an Instruments Technician intern (for 3 months) which could lead to a FT job upon successful completion of the internship.
- National Radio Astronomy Observatory Summer Research Program. Apply over winter break; offers made on 3/1. As part of the Va/NC Alliance for Minority Participation, NRAO also has summer research openings for a Software Developer, Software Plotter Developer & a CDL Cosmic Microwave Electrical Receiver Developer. Apply here by 4/5 (extended deadline from 2/15).
- Novetta has cybersecurity/IT/engineering internships (and jobs) across the state/country, including Charlottesville.
- The Office of Science / U.S. Dept. of Energy seeks paid research interns (850+ in 17 different labs; one in Newport News VA) majoring in Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM). Apply by 5/30.
- RIDGID Products (in Orange VA) seeks an I.T./Engineering Intern. Apply by 4/30.
- Rivanna Water & Sewer Authority seeks a paid Cybersecurity intern, $12/hour. Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4/8.
- UVA School of Engineering's Office of Wireless Health seeks summer paid undergraduate researchers. Apply by 2/1.
- University of Virginia Finance Office seeks a paid PT Technology Support Intern ($15-$20/hour depending on experience).
- University of Virginia Medical School Summer Research Internship Program. Apply by 2/1.
- University of Virginia Mini-Med School program. Apply in the summer for Fall classes (not an internship but GREAT experience).
- VA-NC Alliance for Minority Participation offers a paid Summer STEM Research Program. Apply by mid-February.
- Virginia Commonwealth STEM Industry Internship Program. Features paid internships in IT, Cybersecurity, Engineering, Physical Science & Financial majors.
- Virginia Panel Corporation seeks a paid Engineering Intern w/ either mechanical or electrical engineering and CAD experience.
- Albemarle County Public Schools seeks an Interior Design Specialist intern. $14/hour.
- Atlantic Research Group seeks a paid summer Human Resources intern in their Charlottesville office. $12/hour. Email email@example.com to apply.
- Charlottesville Tom Sox seeks sports operations/event management, media and 2-3 mascots
- Mind & Life Institute seeks interns in the following areas: accounting, communications, outreach, philanthropy and programs.
- Mutual of Omaha seeks a PAID summer intern to learn more about insurance / finance. $10/hour for 10 weeks.
- Primerica seeks interns interested in learning about financial services and wealth management. Training could lead to financial licenses. For more information or to apply, email Phil Conjerti.
- The Arc of the Piedmont seeks volunteer accounting interns.
- The National Foster Care Youth & Alumni Policy Council seeks Council Members (ages of 18-26) to serve for 1 year.
- Beck Digital seeks a communications / digital marketing intern and a web development intern.
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Convention & Visitor's Bureau seeks a Marketing & Media Intern and a Graphic Design & Video Production Intern
- Charlottesville Dept. of Neighborhood Development seeks a paid intern for their planning division. $13.79-$14.48/hour. Graphic design & website management experience needed.
- Ivy Publications seeks an unpaid Editorial intern. Send resume, cover letter & 3 writing samples to editor@IvyPublications.com.
- JABA seeks a Graphic Design Volunteer Intern to design a services brochure for the elderly. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Oakland School is seeking a Spring/Summer Intern to help design and create a new school website utilizing a Squarespace or Wordpress template. Please email email@example.com to apply.
- VIDA Group (a Charlottesville-based business consulting firm) is seeking both a Graphic/Webpage Design Intern and a Videography Intern.
Education/Non-profit (Politics/Public Service):
- Blue Ridge Area Food Bank is seeking 2 college students to assist with the Summer Food Service Program Sites.
- Blue Trunk Foundation seeks volunteer interns to contribute to making travel accessible for everyone by working with the president or project manager.
- Campus Vote Project / Democracy Fellow Position @ PVCC. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to apply.
- Computers4Kids is seeking interns in a number of areas: grant writing, mentor program, clubhouse program, marketing & communication.
- Delegate David Toscano seeks Legislative & Political Interns. Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
- National Museum of African-American History & Culture paid Summer Internships in DC, NC, FL, PA & AL. 2/5/18 informational webinar; 3/15 deadline to apply.
- Save our Shores seeks a paid environmental / outdoor education intern. $2500 stipend plus room and board for 10 weeks in Seattle, WA.
- Saint Nicholas Learning Center (Palmyra) seeks FT summer or PT academic year interns ages 16+ to work with children ages 3-12.
- Sugar Hollow Girl Scout Day Camp seeks summer volunteers. If interested, fill out their survey.
- The Center for Non-Profit Excellence seeks a programs' intern. Email Andrew Robinson at email@example.com, Program Manager, for more info or to apply.
- Chesapeake Conservation Corps Program places 30-35 youth (ages 18-25) to work full-time in the environmental field with a non-profit or government agency for 1 paid year of service ($18K). Apply by 4/13.
- Kjellstrom+Lee seeks a paid intern for the 2018-2019 school year who is interested in learning more about construction.
- Little North Mountain Vineyard in Swope VA is seeking summer viticulture paid interns who want to learn about starting up a vineyard.
- Saunder's Brothers Summer Horticulture Paid Internship. $11.50/hour! Wholesale nursery/orchard business. Housing might be provided.
- Trump Winery seeks a paid Gardens & Grounds Intern.
- The Berlin Global Internship Project invites applications from students pursuing degrees in the following fields: communication, film/visual arts, international relations, marketing/PR, business, history & philosophy for full-time, 2-3 month long voluntary internships.