The Writing Center@PVCC
Writing assistance in any subject as well as assistance with speech courses and presentations.
The Writing Center offers writing assistance in any course as well as assistance with speech courses and presentations.
- Drop-ins are welcome. Visit the Writing Center, M617 Main Building, or click Virtual Writing Center.
- Use Navigate to make an appointment; or call 434.961.5499 or email WritingCenter@pvcc.edu for assistance.
Check out this short video to learn more about meeting with a tutor, including dropping into the Virtual Writing Center or scheduling an appointment.
Fall & Spring Semester Hours:
- Monday to Thursday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Friday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sunday, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. For Sunday sessions, students need to schedule an appointment in Navigate.
The Writing Center operates on a modified schedule during exam weeks and is closed when classes are not in session.
- Monday to Thursday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
To schedule an appointment via Navigate:
- Log in to MyPVCC
- Click the “Navigate Student” icon
- Click “Appointments” on the left side of the screen
- Follow the instructions on the screen. You will choose between an in-person session or an online session.
See what a Zoom Writing Center session looks like.
Practice Conversational English
Each week, the Writing Center holds English Conversation Circle, an opportunity for English language learners to practice their speaking skills. While PVCC courses are offered solely online, ECC will also be offered online. ECC meets every Wednesday when classes are in session, beginning Sept. 2, from 12-1pm. To join ECC, please complete this form, and you will receive an email with a link to the meeting 30 minutes before it begins. All English language learners are welcome to join. No homework or registration is required.
The Walt Kehoe English 111 Personal Essay Contest
Each fall, the Writing Center sponsors the English 111 Personal Essay Contest, in honor of Walt Kehoe, a long-time Writing Center tutor who devoted many hours and much care to PVCC students. Walt died in October 2019. We begin accepting submissions for the calendar year each October, with a late November deadline. Read the 2022 winners here.
Read the 2021 winners here.
Read the 2020 winners here.
The Writing Center @ PVCC supports student success by offering writing assistance across the disciplines, as well as assistance with speech courses and presentations, utilizing research based practices. We prepare students for placement tests and improve the conversational language skills of English learners. Our mission is achieved by:
- Reinforcing that strong writing skills are valuable across the curriculum and are essential in many fields of study and in the workplace;
- Emphasizing that writing is a process, which develops writing skills and instills confidence in students;
- Understanding the diversity of students’ needs and adapting our approach to meet those needs;
- Providing tutoring sessions that are available by walk-in or appointment to maximize accessibility to all students;
- Offering a welcoming, diverse staff engaged in continual professional development; and
- Developing a sense of community through a collaborative environment.
We work to help PVCC students strengthen their writing skills in any discipline. Come to The Writing Center at any stage of the writing process to:
- Discuss how or where to begin an assignment
- Get help finishing a draft
- Begin revising a draft or receive feedback on a complete draft
- Learn tips for proofreading
- Discuss your instructor's comments
Meet Our Tutors
Our tutors come from a variety of backgrounds. Learn a little bit more about them by reading their profiles available here.
These short videos are designed to help with common, challenging writing tasks.
- Developing a Thesis
- Writing Introductions & Conclusions
- Integrating Quotations with The Quote Sandwich
- Understanding Passive Voice
- Recognizing Fragments, Run-Ons, & Comma Splices
- Correcting Fragments, Run-ons, & Comma Splices
- Creating MLA 8 In-Text Citations
- Creating a Works Cited Page: MLA 8's Core Components
- MLA Core Elements Note Outline (download if you'd like to use for outlining while watching video)
- APA Citation Style
- APA Citation Style Note Outline (download if you'd like to use for outlining while watching video)
Organize and Plan Your Essay
Revise and Proofread Your Essay
Cite and Research Your Essay
Grammar and ESL
Writing Intensive Courses (WIC)
Writing Under Pressure
Writing Resource Handbook
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some helpful Web sites for writing?
Two great general resources are:
- Purdue University's Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Norton Write [PVCC students can use this site, but must create an account with an email and password.]