Health Information Management
This certificate is designed to provide students with knowledge and skills necessary to obtain entry-level employment in a medical office settings.
Area of Interest
- SDV 100: Orientation - 1 credits
- ITE 119: Information Literacy - 3 credits
- BIO 145: Human Anatomy & Physiology for Health Sciences - 4 credits
- HLT 141: Introduction to Medical Terminology - 2 credits
- ENG 111: College Composition I - 3 credits
- HIM 110: Introduction to Human Pathology - 3 credits
- HIM 141: Fundamentals of Health Information Systems I - 3 credits
- HIM 196: On-Site Training - 1 credits
- HIM 226: Legal Aspects of Health Record Documentation - 2 credits
- HIM 250: Health Data Classification Systems I: ICD9-CM - 4 credits
- HIM 254: Advanced Coding & Reimbursement - 4 credits
- HIM 255: Health Data Classification Systems II: CPT - 2 credits
- HIM 260: Pharmacology for Health Information Technology - 3 credits
There are no additional admission requirements for this program. Additional program information can be found on the program’s web site at the link below or in the Admissions and Advising Center or in the Health and Life Sciences Division office.
The Health Information Management (HIM) Certificate Program at Piedmont Virginia Community College is designed to provide graduates with the knowledge and skills necessary to obtain entry-level employment in a variety of local medical office settings (inpatient, outpatient, physician office, patient financial services and insurance companies). Graduates will obtain necessary knowledge and skills in areas such as basic medical coding, patient scheduling, health records maintenance, billing, and reimbursement.
HIM professionals are highly trained in the latest information management technology applications and understand the workflow in any healthcare provider organization from large hospital systems to the private physician practice. They are vital to the daily operations management of health information and electronic health records. They ensure patient's health information and records are complete, accurate, and protected.
Successful completion of clinical compliance documentation, including criminal background check, drug screening, and immunization documentation, is required for clinical internships. Please contact division office for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.