The Writing Center@PVCC
Tutoring in Writing for any subject, Spanish, and Humanities & Social Science classes. In Spring 2021, we also offer tutoring in German. The Writing Center will open for tutoring on Weds., Jan. 13.
The Writing Center@PVCC offer tutoring through our Virtual Writing Center, a Zoom space dedicated to PVCC tutoring. With the Virtual Writing Center, you can make an appointment to see a tutor in advance OR you can drop in to see if someone is available, just as you did on campus. We will also have reception staff available on campus in the Writing Center [M253 Main Building] to assist you in attending or setting up the Zoom appointment. This short video shows you three different ways you can arrange to meet with a tutor, including just dropping into the center to see if a tutor is available or to schedule an appointment.
To meet with a tutor, schedule an appointment via Navigate in the MyPVCC portal or drop-in to the Virtual Writing Center to schedule an appointment or to see if a tutor is available. For further information, call 434.961.5499 during our open hours or email email@example.com.
Monday to Thursday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Sunday, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. For Sunday sessions, students need to schedule an appointment in Navigate.
To schedule a Zoom appointment in the Virtual Writing Center:
- Log in to MyPVCC
- Click the “Navigate Student” icon
- Click “Appointments” on the left side of the screen
- Follow the instructions on the screen
With 48-hours notice, we can also arrange a face-to-face tutoring session. For everyone's safety, well-fitted facial coverings [i.e. masks] are required for in-person sessions. Physical distance will also be observed. We ask that you bring two printed copies of your work OR a digital copy so that the work can be discussed at a physical distance. Call us at 434.961.5499 during our open hours to schedule an f2f appointment or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Practice Conversational English
Each week, the Writing Center holds English Conversation Circle, an opportunity for English language learners to practice their speaking skills. While PVCC courses are offered solely online, ECC will also be offered online. ECC meets every Wednesday when classes are in session, beginning Sept. 2, from 12-1pm. To join ECC, please complete this form, and you will receive an email with a link to the meeting 30 minutes before it begins. All English language learners are welcome to join. No homework or registration is required.
The Writing Center @ PVCC supports student success by offering writing assistance across the disciplines, as well as tutoring in humanities, social sciences, and language courses, utilizing research based practices. We prepare students for placement tests and improve the conversational language skills of English learners. Our mission is achieved by:
- Reinforcing that strong writing skills are valuable across the curriculum and are essential in many fields of study and in the workplace;
- Emphasizing that writing is a process, which develops writing skills and instills confidence in students;
- Understanding the diversity of students’ needs and adapting our approach to meet those needs;
- Providing tutoring sessions that are available by walk-in or appointment to maximize accessibility to all students;
- Offering a welcoming, diverse staff engaged in continual professional development; and
- Developing a sense of community through a collaborative environment.
We work to help PVCC students strengthen their writing skills in any discipline. Come to The Writing Center at any stage of the writing process to:
- Discuss how or where to begin an assignment
- Get help finishing a draft
- Begin revising a draft or receive feedback on a complete draft
- Learn tips for proofreading
- Discuss your instructor's comments
Meet Our Tutors
Our tutors come from a variety of backgrounds. Learn a little bit more about them by reading their profiles available here.
These short videos are designed to help with common, challenging writing tasks.
- Developing a Thesis
- Writing Introductions & Conclusions
- Integrating Quotations with The Quote Sandwich
- Understanding Passive Voice
- Recognizing Fragments, Run-Ons, & Comma Splices
- Correcting Fragments, Run-ons, & Comma Splices
- Creating MLA 8 In-Text Citations
- Creating a Works Cited Page: MLA 8's Core Components
- MLA Core Elements Note Outline (download if you'd like to use for outlining while watching video)
- APA Citation Style
- APA Citation Style Note Outline (download if you'd like to use for outlining while watching video)
Organize and Plan Your Essay
Revise and Proofread Your Essay
Cite and Research Your Essay
Grammar and ESL
Writing Intensive Courses (WIC)
Writing Under Pressure
Writing Resource Handbook