The Writing Center@PVCC
While PVCC classes are being held only online, The Writing Center will also serve students only online. You will meet with a tutor via live video/audio conferencing. You will have to schedule an appointment at least 30 minutes in advance to receive tutoring.
All tutoring sessions will be 50 minutes long. Our hours, which we have extended, are:
- Monday - Thursday 9:00 am to 9:00 pm
- Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
If you have trouble following these instructions, please email email@example.com or call 434.961.5499 and one of our staff will get back to you with an appointment. Staff will respond Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. In your email or voicemail, please tell us the following information:
- The class for which you would like tutoring.
- The day and time (please give two or three options)
- The tutor you would like to see (if you have a preference)
- Your phone number, so we can reach you if we have further questions!
Submit a Paper and Get Feedback with Brainfuse!
PVCC partners with Brainfuse to provide tutoring in most subjects taught at PVCC. Brainfuse's Writing Lab allows you to submit your writing and receive feedback in less than 24 hours. Brainfuse also offers live tutoring in writing, as well as many other subjects. Brainfuse is available in all of your courses in Canvas; a link is in the left-hand menu. It will also be available through the MyPVCC portal. Instructions to use Brainfuse's Writing Lab are here. The Brainfuse user guide is here. You are allotted 5 hours of tutoring in Brainfuse per semester; a writing submission takes 35 of those minutes. You're encouraged to bring your Brainfuse feedback to the Writing Center if you'd like to additional assistance.
Practice Conversational English
Each week, the Writing Center holds English Conversation Circle, an opportunity for English language learners to practice their speaking skills. While PVCC courses are offered solely online, ECC will also be offered online. ECC meets every Wednesday through April 2020 from 12-1:00 pm via Zoom: https://vccs.zoom.us/j/261893368. All English language learners are welcome to join. No homework or registration is required.
The Writing Center @ PVCC supports student success by offering writing assistance across the disciplines, as well as tutoring in humanities, social sciences, and language courses, utilizing research based practices. We prepare students for placement tests and improve the conversational language skills of English learners. Our mission is achieved by:
- Reinforcing that strong writing skills are valuable across the curriculum and are essential in many fields of study and in the workplace;
- Emphasizing that writing is a process, which develops writing skills and instills confidence in students;
- Understanding the diversity of students’ needs and adapting our approach to meet those needs;
- Providing tutoring sessions that are available by walk-in or appointment to maximize accessibility to all students;
- Offering a welcoming, diverse staff engaged in continual professional development; and
- Developing a sense of community through a collaborative environment.
We work to help PVCC students strengthen their writing skills in any discipline. Come to The Writing Center at any stage of the writing process to:
- Discuss how or where to begin an assignment
- Get help finishing a draft
- Begin revising a draft or receive feedback on a complete draft
- Learn tips for proofreading
- Discuss your instructor's comments
Meet Our Tutors
Our tutors come from a variety of backgrounds. You can learn a little about them by reading their profiles available here.
These short videos are designed to help with common, challenging writing tasks.
- Developing a Thesis
- Writing Introductions & Conclusions
- Integrating Quotations with The Quote Sandwich
- Creating MLA 8 In-Text Citations
- Creating a Works Cited Page: MLA 8's Core Components
- APA Citation Style
Organize and Plan Your Essay
Revise and Proofread Your Essay
Cite and Research Your Essay
Grammar and ESL
Writing Intensive Courses (WIC)
Writing Under Pressure
Writing Resource Handbook