Retraining Virginia's Unemployed to Get Back to Work
VA Ready provides registered VA Ready Scholars a $1,000 Credential Achievement Award upon obtaining the final credential in selected training programs in the following sectors: computer and cyber, healthcare and manufacturing/skilled trades.
Download the Eligibility Checklist
Eligibility - if any of the following items applies to you you are likely to be eligible for VA Ready
- Unemployed due to COVID-19.
- Eligible for FANTIC or, if not applying for this, current earnings are at or below 200% of the poverty guidelines included below in blue font
- Currently earning less than $15 hourly and working less than 30 hours weekly on a consistent basis.
- Currently earning less than $15 hourly and unable to access employer benefits for medical coverage and/or paid time off.
Computer & Cyber:
|Certified Nurse Aide (CNA)|
Trades & Others
|Electrical and Electrical Systems|
|CDL License A|
**This list is subject to change. No other programs are part of this initiative at this time.
- See eligibility requirements above.
- Applicant must sign up at VAReady.org.
When do students receive the award?
The student will receive the $1,000 Credential Achievement Award after the student provides evidence they have completed the credential to the associated VCCS college and at VAReady.org.
Will students be taxed on the $1,000?
It depends on the student's income. Please consult the Virginia Income Website and a tax advisor.
The Virginia Ready Initiative (VA Ready) is a public charity focused on retraining Virginia’s unemployed for in-demand occupations in high-growth industries. VA Ready brought together over 35 leading companies across Virginia and established a partnership with the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) and the Commonwealth’s existing FastForward Workforce Credential Program.