Work-study allows students to work part-time at PVCC while attending college. Among the many benefits of participating in the work-study program are:
- A regular paycheck for college expenses and extra spending money
- Convenience of working on campus where you take classes
- Practical job experience to enhance your resume and marketability
- A unique behind-the-scenes look at the operations of a community college
Types of Jobs and Pay
Work-study students typically work 10 to 20 hours per week at PVCC. The current wage is $9.50 an hour, which is paid through federal funds earmarked for the program. Job placement depends upon available jobs at the College and student qualifications. Some approved off-campus jobs in area nonprofits are available for reading and math tutors. The rate of pay for these off-campus positions are a little higher.
How to Qualify
When you apply for financial aid, the Financial Aid Office will automatically determine if you qualify for work-study and if you do, this will be noted in the award letter that you receive from PVCC. You are not required to participate in work-study, although is it highly encouraged to help offset your college expenses and to enhance your resume and marketability in the future.
If you have been awarded work-study and would like to participate, you are required to follow the Guidelines for Work-Study Employment.
Students must complete the following:
- View mandatory orientation. Adjust your speaker volume. Record your orientation number. You will need it to complete the work study packet.
- View work study positions on JobNet. See below in FAQ's below.
- Prepare your resume and contact depatments to schedule interview. View sample resume.
- Complete Work Study Packet after you have obtained the position. Submit to the Human Resources Office located in room 810 in the Technology Wing, 434.961.5221.
Supervisors should read the guidelines below.
- Read the instructions for posting/viewing work-study positions.
- The student must be awarded Federal Work-Study and have received an official notification from the Financial Aid Office.
- Upon hiring, the student must view the mandatory Federal Work-Study orientation on the Career Services Web site.
- The student and supervisor will complete the Student Appointment Form and have the student return the form to the Financial Aid Office for signature.
- The student will take the Student Appointment Form to Human Resources and receive the necessary forms to begin the payroll process.
- Prepare the student by suggesting they have several forms of identification as well as a form for setting up direct deposit. They must complete all forms from Human Resources before starting work.
Important Reminder: Due to the confidential nature, work-study students are not allowed access to or use of the PVCC Student Information System (SIS).
- Follow these instructions to post your position online. Contact Career Services to have your expired position activated or to reset your password.
- Complete with student and return to the Financial Aid Office, before the student may begin working.
- Complete and return to Human Resources when a student's employment has been terminated.