Steps to Career Success
1) Learn more about yourself via Career Assessments:
- Comprehensive assessment which includes interests, values and skills - My Next Move
- Personality -16 Personalities and/or Humanmetrics.com
- Values - Life Values Inventory
2) Learn more about career options that match your interests through watching career videos (available on MyNextMove), taking related classes, talking with professionals / networking, finding a mentor and/or job shadowing. Here are some good career/labor market resources:
- America's Career Infonet
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Virginia Market Demand
- ETC Two Year College Starting Salary Program
- How To Become Any Career
- Learn How To Become: Find Your Dream Career
- O*Net Online
- Virginia Education Wizard
- What Can I Do With This Major?
3) Create your introduction / professional documents (resume, cover / thank you letters, LinkedIn, etc.) to help you land interviews/jobs.
- Resume Writing Advice and Cover Letter Advice
- PVCC Sample Resumes and Cover Letters will soon be posted. Please check back!
- Introduction/30-second Commercial and Interview Preparation
- Networking Advice and LinkedIn Tips
4) Get experience through volunteering, interning or even temporary employment. These are easier ways to gain access to employers which often lead to long term employment.
- Volunteering - search by area of interest on United Way
- Interning - check out PVCC's site for listings and tips.
- Temporary employment - check out UVA's listing of local agencies.
- Job Searching - check out PVCC's site for listings and tips.
5) Decide whether your career target is a good fit. If not, consider repeating these steps since finding a great career path is often a process.