You are entitled to a waiver of tuition for credit or noncredit classes at PVCC if you meet the following criteria:
- Age 60 or older
- Have been a legal Virginia resident for at least one year
- If your income for the past taxable year did not exceed $23,850 as indicated on your state income tax form (applicable only for students taking a class on a graded basis)
This waiver does not cover expenses for instructional materials, including books and lab fees and other college costs.
Fee-Paying Students Admitted First to All Classes
Virginia law requires PVCC to accommodate all fee-paying students prior to admitting senior citizen fee-waiver students in classes and there must be a sufficient number of fee-paying students registered to run the class. Once these conditions are met, you will be seated on a space-available basis in the classes you have chosen.
You may choose to pay for a class to guarantee a seat. After the semester has begun, however, you will not be eligible to change to fee-waiver status and receive a refund.
How to Enroll as a Senior Fee-Waiver Student
Follow the steps below. If you have questions along the way, please email the Admissions & Advising Center or call 434.961.6551. We are happy to assist you.
- Apply to PVCC as outlined in the Steps to Enrollment.
- Complete a Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver Form (available under the website's Forms Central or from the Admissions & Advising Center).
- Return the form with proof of age to the Admissions & Advising Center or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. After the late-add deadline, noted in the Academic Calendar, the division will approve enrollment, notify by email senior students about the decision, and forward the form to the registrar's office for enrollment. Please note that access to the student portal BlackBoard happens with enrollment after the late-add deadline.
If you are a student with a disability, please see PVCC's disability services.