SEXUAL ASSAULT/SEXUAL VIOLENCE
If you are a victim of sexual assualt:
- Go to a safe place away from harm.
- Call 911 immediately.
- If you are on campus when the assault occurs, call the Office of Public Safety and Campus police at 434.981.6362.
- Call a friend, a family member or someone else you trust to stay with you.
- Go to the nearest medical facility/emergency room.
- Take steps to preserve any physical evidence since it may be necessary to prove criminal charges or to issue a protective order.
- Do not wash your hands or bathe.
- Keep clothes that you were wearing when attack took place. If you change clothing, place worn clothing in a paper bag.
- Tell someone the details you remember or write them down if possible.
RESOURCES & SUPPORT SERVICES
SARA( Sexual Assault Resource Agency) provides a 24-hour hotline: 434.977.7273 or 434.295.7273.
SARA offers the following kinds of support:
- Supportive staff to listen and provide services to help you in the healing process
- Support for family members and friends
- Someone to accompany a survivor to the hospital, to the police station or to court to provide emotional support
- Information about sexual assault/abuse/common reactions and healthy relationships
- Referral to other services
- Support groups
- Free and confidential therapy with clinically trained staff
Learn more at www.saracville.org.
- For professional and counseling support, contact Virginia Family Violence and Sexual Assault Hotline: 1.800.838.8238.
- Shelter for Help and Emergency (SHE): 434.293.8509
- U.Va. Women’s Center: 434.982.2361
- National Sexual Assault Hotline (24/7): 1.800.500.1119
- NOT ALONE: Together Against Sexual Assault: www.notalone.gov