PVCC Safety Manual - Section 3
3.2 Safety Committee Policy & Procedures
A. The primary objective of the safety committee is to provide support to enhance the safety program at Piedmont Virginia Community College. In addition to this primary mission, the safety committee shall encourage all employees to participate in the safety process for the betterment of all concerned.
B. The personal safety and health of each employee and student are of primary importance. To the greatest extent possible, this committee shall provide employees a voice to the leadership of the school to ensure that all mechanical and physical facilities required for personal safety and health are provided and maintained in keeping with the standards established for Virginia’s community colleges. In carrying out its primary mission, the committee is committed to:
- Formulate and disseminate policies, practices, and procedures that promote health and safety.
- Consult with the vice president for finance and administrative services, the human resources manager, and others on any changes in health and safety policies, practices, and procedures proposed by the committee.
- Assist the college’s administration in planning actions related to occupational health and safety.
- Act as a problem-solving group to assist in the identification and control of hazards.
- Help to resolve health and safety issues.
3.2 Safety Committee Policy & Procedures
A. The safety committee shall encourage safety awareness among all employees. In addition, the committee shall monitor safety performance, safety inspections, and administer the safety program. The committee is charged to:
- Reduce injuries and illnesses by preventing accidents and near-miss incidents and investigate incidents when they do occur.
- Be aware of conditions in all work areas that can produce injuries.
- Aid the school in complying with all laws pertaining to safety.
- Aid in the prevention of occupationally-induced injuries and illnesses.
- Aid the college in providing all mechanical and physical facilities required for personal safety and health.
- Establish a program that instills the proper attitudes toward injury and illness prevention not only on the part of employees but also between each employee and his or her co-workers.
- Achieve a safety program that is in the best interest of all concerned parties.
B. The safety committee shall be comprised of up to nine members as follows:
- Vice president for finance and administrative services, Chair.
- One representative from each division.
- One representative from the facilities department.
- One representative of the human resources department.
- One representative from the department of public safety & campus police.
- One representative from student development.
- Other representatives as deemed necessary to cover specific areas such as chemical hygiene, CERT, and the college’s safety infrastructure.
C. The principal responsibilities of the safety committee shall be as follows:
- Conduct regular safety meetings.
- Conduct building safety inspections.
- Review accident/injury reports and discuss corrective actions.
- Maintain appropriate records of their activities.
- Review and update the safety manual on an annual basis or as needed.
D. This program applies to all of the Piedmont Virginia Community College facilities.
3.3 Safety Inspections & Corrective Actions
A. The safety committee shall conduct regular inspections of campus buildings and grounds using the Building Safety Checklist (Appendix A).
B. Corrective action plans shall be developed for those items noted as needing attention on the Building Safety Checklist. This plan shall include immediate steps to eliminate and/or reduce the potential for accidents in the workplace.
- The plan shall include a target completion date for items that cannot be corrected immediately. Temporary measures shall be taken to ensure the safety of employees while the corrective action is scheduled to be performed.
- Corrective actions that cannot be completed immediately shall be reported at the safety committee meeting. The committee shall follow up on the resolution of items noted for corrective action included on the Building Safety Checklist.
Back to Safety Manual Home Page