Area of Interest
- Nurse Aide
- Be at least 18 years of age on the first day of class.
- Acceptable background check and drug screen prior to clinical. Proof of immunizations and physical exam may be required depending on clinical site.
- Attend a coaching appointment and/or information session prior to enrollment.
- Complete a CASAS assessment, scheduled by appointment at TJACE.
- Complete all funding assistance paperwork (if applicable) prior to enrollment.
Meet minimum essential functions and standards for program.
Nurse aides play a vital role in the healthcare team and are in critical shortage in our community! Work alongside nurses and physicians in a variety of inpatient and outpatient care settings such as long-term care facilities, hospitals, medical offices, clinics and home settings. Instructional topics include quality resident care, personal care skills, basic nursing skills, applying nutrition and hydration, recognizing and preventing opioid and substance abuse, professional workplace behavior, ethics and the legal aspects of health care. Students gain hands-on experience in taking and documenting vital signs, infection control procedures and assisting with activities of daily living. Students must successfully complete a 40-hour offsite clinical experience to demonstrate skill competency.
Upon completion, students are eligible to sit for the Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) licensure exam offered by the Virginia Board of Nursing (VBON).
Note: Program is approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing (VBON) which requires that Nurse Aide programs are a minimum of 140 contact hours. PVCC’s program includes additional hours for learner support, skills practice and workplace readiness instruction. Tuition includes the costs for criminal background check, drug screen, TB test, BLS-CPR (book, course, and certification) as well as two sets of scrubs, a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff.
Contact Hours: 164