JMU Regional Teacher Education Agreement (RTEA)
This degree is designed for students who plan to transfer to James Madison University to complete a baccalaureate degree program in education.
- SDV 100: Orientation - 1 credits
- ENG 111: College Composition I - 3 credits
- ENG 112 : College Composition II - 3 credits
- ENG ___: Literature - 3 credits
- HIS 121: U.S. History I - 3 credits
- HIS 122: U.S. History II - 3 credits
- HIS 111: World History I - 3 credits
- HIS 112: World History II - 3 credits
- MTH ___: Math Transfer Elective - 3 credits
- CHM 100: General Chemistry I or PHY 100: Elements of Physics I - 4 credits
- PLS 135: American National Politics or PLS 211: U.S. Government I - 3 credits
- HLT/PED: Health or Physical Education Elective - 1 credits
- HUM ___: Humanities Elective - 3 credits
- CST 100: Principles of Public Speaking - 3 credits
- PSY 230: Developmental Psychology - 3 credits
- EDU 200: Introduction to Teaching as a Profession - 3 credits
- ECO 201: Principles of Macroeconomics or ECO 202: Principles of Microeconomics - 3 credits
- BIO 101: General Biology I or BIO 106: Life Sciences - 4 credits
- GEO 210: Introduction to Cultural Geography - 3 credits
- GOL 105: Physical Geology or GOL 106: Historical Geology - 4 credits
- ___ ___: Transfer Elective - 3 credits
The Associate of Science degree in Education at Piedmont Virginia Community College prepares you for transfer to a four-year college or university to complete a bachelor's degree in a particular subject and then to enter the teaching field or apply for graduate-level studies. PVCC has guaranteed transfer agreements with top colleges and universities that guarantee admission to PVCC graduates who meet specific academic transfer criteria. This curriculum is designed for students seeking Pre-K-8 licensure and is also applicable to Special Education K-12.
Guaranteed Transfer Option: Students who wish to attend James Madison University for teacher licensure programs may participate in a special agreement that results in guaranteed transfer if students maintain a 3.0 grade point average (GPA). Contact PVCC's Admissions & Advising Center for more information.
JMU also offers additional RTEA Agreements for Art Pre-K-12, Foreign Language Pre-K-12, Health and Physical Education Pre-K-12, Biology/Chemistry/Earth Science/Physics 6-12, English 6-12, Mathematics 6-12, and Social Studies 6-12.
If you are interested in one of these tracks, make an appointment with an academic advisor to discuss the best degree option for you. A full listing of licensure options and their requirements are available at www.jmu.edu/coe/esc/rtea/alignment.shtml.
Graduation Requirement: Students entering all degree programs are required to take one Writing Intensive Course (WIC).
Literature: Choose one course from the following options: ENG 241, 242, 243, 244, 246, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, or 255. This course will meet the Writing Intensive Course (WIC) requirement for this degree.
Mathematics: Check with the transfer advisor for the appropriate math courses and sequencing for your transfer institution.
Humanities Elective: Choose one course from the following options: ART 100, ART 101, ART 102, CST 130, CST 141, or MUS 121.
Transfer Elective: BUS 100 recommended
HLT 110 recommended.