Clinical Medical Assistant
This program will train students to assist physicians by performing functions related to the clinical responsibilities of a medical office.
This is a G3 program. Students may qualify for free tuition, fees, and books.
Area of Interest
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Documentation of GED or High School Diploma
- At least 18 years of age on the first day of class
- Meet minimum essential functions and standards for program
- Complete a pre-healthcare information session
- Acceptable background check and drug screen prior to externship. Proof of immunizations and physical exam may be required depending on externship site.
Note: Other documentation may be required for funding assistance
Recommendation: Prospective students without healthcare experience are encouraged to complete an online medical terminology course or self-paced workbook prior to beginning this course. Follow the career pathway for medical assisting, which begins with Phlebotomy Technician, continues to EKG technician and finishes with Clinical Medical Assistant. These programs result in stackable credentials that are designed to build upon the knowledge and skills of one another.
This program is intended for students who want to prepare for an exciting, challenging and rewarding career in health care. Instruction includes preparing patients for examination and treatment, routine laboratory procedures, diagnostic testing, technical aspects of phlebotomy and the cardiac life cycle. Students will review important topics including phlebotomy, pharmacology, the proper use and administration of medications, taking and documenting vital signs, cardiology including proper lead placements, a professional workplace behavior, ethics and the legal aspects of health care. This program includes 165 hours of classroom lecture and hands-on labs and a clinical externship opportunity at a local health care provider.