PluggedIn Hospitality Program
Get PluggedIn to your future in Hospitality!
Enrolling now for January 2018
WHAT IS PLUGGEDIN?
PluggedIn is a FREE education and training program designed to prepare motivated adults for jobs with local hotels and restaurants. PluggedIn Hospitality is offered through PVCC's Thomas Jefferson Adult and Career Education (TJACE) Center in partnership with the City of Charlottesville, the Boar’s Head, and the Virginia Workforce Center.
- ServSafe certification
- American Hotel and Lodging certification
- Instruction in core skills, such as math and reading, which can lead to a high school credential
- Workforce readiness skills and certification
- Computer/digital literacy skills
- Communication, teamwork, and interview skills
- Networking with hospitality employers
- Support for your individual goals
ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS MUST BE:
- Age 18 and up
- Interested in hospitality careers
- Motivated to attend class two days a week from January to May
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
For more information about the program and application process, attend an information session. Upcoming session dates include:
- Tuesday, December 12, 2017, from 6 to 7 p.m.
- Thursday, December 14, 2017, from 10 to 11 a.m.
- Tuesday, December 19, 2017, from 5 to 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 9, 2018, from 10 to 11 a.m.
All sessions will be held in room J125 at PVCC's Jefferson School Center, located at 233 4th Street NW in downtown Charlottesville (across from Staples). For directions and a map of the center, visit www.pvcc.edu/directions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can enroll in PluggedIn Hospitality?
Adults ate18 and up who do not have a GED or high school diploma. English language learners and native English speakers are encouraged to apply. Applicants complete an application, take reading and math assessments, and take part in an interview.
How much does it cost to participate in the PluggedIn Program?
PluggedIn Hospitality is a FREE program.
Why choose hospitality?
Charlottesville has numerous hotel and restaurant employers looking for qualified employees for positons such as front desk representative, line cook, and server. Skilled hospitality employees have opportunities for further training and advancement and can develop skills that are transferable to many other career fields.
What is the class schedule and where are PluggedIn classes held?
PluggedIn Hospitality begins on Wednesday, January 17, 2018, and will conclude by Friday, May 25, 2018. Classes are held on Mondays and Wednesdays, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at PVCC’s Jefferson School Center, located at 233 4th Street NW in downtown Charlottesville.
What makes PluggedIn unique?
Many programs offer education OR training. PluggedIn Hospitality is an integrated education and training program that teaches core skills (such as reading, math and English language) AND offers job training, industry certifications, and work readiness classes that can lead to employment with area hotels and restaurants. Local hospitality employers participate in the program as trainers and help students prepare for the workforce.