Phi Theta Kappa (PTK)
Alpha Epsilon Tau chapter president, Jake Laxton with vice president of communications, Malcolm O'Malley
Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) is the leading international honor society for two-year colleges. PVCC’s chapter is officially named Alpha Epsilon Tau. An integral component of PVCC's PTK chapter is community service through participation in toy and food drives, charity walks, assistance to local and national victims of natural disasters, environmental activism and many other service initiatives.
Current officers for 2019-20
Alpha Epsilon Tau Executive Council:
President - Jake Laxton
Vice President of Service - Steven Lunsford
Vice President of Fellowship -
Vice President of Communications - Malcolm O'Malley
Vice President of Scholarship - Lorretta Wenger
Vice President of Records -
Benefits of PTK membership
- Access to scholarships, conventions and seminars.
- Support, motivation and friendship of a committed group of high-achieving peers.
- Opportunities to be involved in leadership, academic research, social events, networking and community service.
- At the PVCC graduation ceremony, PTK members MAY wear a gold satin stole and gold and blue cording over their graduation gowns and a yellow tassel on their graduation cap. (Note that this graduation regalia is not provided; it is only available for purchase via the PTK website and should be ordered in advance).
- PTK members are recognized college-wide by the college President, Vice-President of Instruction and other college administrators, faculty and staff at a special Induction Ceremony and Picnic in the Spring.
- PTK membership is noted on your college transcript. (Please note, however, that it does not appear on the diploma).
How to join
At the beginning of Fall and Spring semester, the names of eligible students are submitted to PTK National Headquarters. PTK then invites students to join and issues them a unique code via email that can be used to complete online registration at ptk.org.
To accept invitation online click here
Online registration is the fastest, simplest way to join and pay the enrollment fee (currently $80). For students who may not yet be eligible or who wish to find out more about PTK before joining, a paper application for provisional membership is available. Please click this link, application, to become a provisional member. Complete the application and submit to an advisor listed below. Feel free to attend any PTK meeting or event to broaden your understanding of the objectives of the organization.
Mr. Bruce Robinson or Dr. Kit Decker
Alpha Epsilon Tau Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa
501 College Drive
Charlottesville, Virginia 22902
Fall semester: Last day of class
Spring semester: Last day of class
PVCC students must be in good standing and meet the academic requirements detailed below.
Students with 12-30 credit hours in a program of study must:
- Be enrolled full time at PVCC during the semester she/he becomes a member.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.50.
Students with more than 30 credit hours in a program of study must:
- Be enrolled full or part time at PVCC during the semester she/he becomes a member.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.25.
For more information, contact the PTK Chapter Advisors
Bruce Robinson, Associate Professor of Information Technology
Business, Mathematics & Technologies Division
Main Building, Room M817
Kit Decker, Professor of Spanish
Humanities, Fine Arts & Social Sciences Division
Dickinson Building, Room D209