Generally, grants do not have to be repaid. They are awarded according to financial need. After you apply for financial aid and file the FAFSA, PVCC's Financial Aid Office will automatically determine if you qualify for grants and will indicate this in your financial aid award letter.

Priority for state programs is given to students who do not alread possess a bachelor's or professional degree and have met PVCC's priority date for applying for financial aid.  Eligible students will be awarded once the FAFSA and any required documentation have been received on a first-come, first-served basis until funds have been exhausted.

Commonwealth Grant (COMA):
State-funded grant that provides assistance if you are enroll in six or more credit hours per semester, are a resident of Virginia and demonstrate financial need. These funds are limited. You are automatically considered when we receive your FAFSA.  The maximum amount is the cost of tuition and fees. No additional application is needed.

Community College Transfer Grant:
Eligible PVCC graduates with a transfer degree may receive a Community College Transfer Grant by the four-year college or university to which they transfer. To be eligible the student must complete the transfer associate degree with a 3.0 grade point average and meet financial eligibility requirements, as determined by the FAFSA. The grant will be applied directly to tuition expenses at a four-year Virginia college or university, either public or private. The grant provides $1,000 for all eligible students, with an extra $1,000 for students who pursue undergraduate work in engineering, mathematics, technology, nursing, teaching or science. Students may be eligible for up to three years of grant assistance. Click here for additional information.

Federal Pell Grant:
Pell Grants are need-based federal student aid. Only undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor's degree are eligible for this grant. The Pell Grant is awarded using your family's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the FAFSA. Awards are also based on the number of credit hours you take. A minimum of 12 credit hours each semester is required to receive full eligibility, with prorated awards going to students with less than 12 credit hours. 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG):
If you are enrolled in at least six credit hours per semester and demonstrate extreme financial need, you may be eligible for this grant. Preference is given to Pell Grant recipients with the lowest Expected Family Contribution.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant:
A student who is not eligible for a Pell Grant but whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. Eligible students must be under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent's or guardian's death. The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Pell Grant for the award year - not to exceed the cost of attendance for that award year.

Part-time Tuition Assistance Program Grant (PTAP):
State-funded grant, which provides assistance if you enroll between one to eight credit hours per semester, are a resident of Virginia and demonstrate financial need. The maximum award is the cost of tuition. This grant is normally awarded during the repackaging process that takes place after the end of the add/drop period when aid is based on actual enrollment. Initial aid packaging is based on projected full-time enrollment.

VCCS Tuition Grant:
The Tuition Grant program provides tuition and fees at any Virginia community college for high school graduates or general education development (GED) completers in foster care, in the custody of a social services agency, or considered a special needs adoption.  A minimum of six credit hours is required and financial need must be demonstrated. The grant covers tuition and fees only for students not already receiving sufficient federal and state grant eligibility to cover those expenses.  Students who would like to be considered for this grant should send proof of their foster care or special needs adoptee status to the Financial Aid Office. 

Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program (VGAP):
VGAP awards range from $500 up to tuition, fees and books available to undergraduate Virginia residents who graduated from high school with at least a 2.5 grade point aberage. VGAP also has specific renewal requirements:

  • Completion of a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and continued demonstration of financial need
  • Continued enrollment in a program leading to a degree, certificate, or diploma
  • Continued domiciliary residency in Virginia
  • academic achievement of at least 2.0 cumulative grade point average
  • Maintain full-time status (at least 12 credit hours) each semester of the academic year
  • Maintain continuous enrollment (not counting summer sessions)
  • Remain a dependent student according to current federal regulations.