New Student Checklist
* Buy or rent your books. Check your class syllabus to determine what books are required. (Find the syllabus in Blackboard.) OR you can visit the PVCC Bookstore Web site, click the link for books and then click the dropdown for textbooks and course materials. Enter the specific course information and find the link to the ISBN number for the text. The PVCC Bookstore, which is operated by Follett, is located on campus in the Main Building (near Library). Hours and contact info are posted on the Bookstore’s Web site. You can use your financial aid funds to pay for textbooks and required supplies only during certain dates each semester.
* Activate your PVCC email. Very important! You’ll receive official PVCC announcements about financial aid and other updates through your PVCC email. Set up your email through MyPVCC. After logging in with your username and password, select the “Gmail” link.
* Don’t worry if you do not see your credit classes listed in Blackboard before the first day of class! Your class schedule in the VCCS Student Information System is considered your official list of credit classes for which you registered. Access your schedule through MyPVCC, and you’ll see all the classes for which you registered. Credit classes show up in Blackboard either on the first day of the class or within 48 hours after registering.
* Set your browser to Firefox or Google Chrome to use Blackboard. PVCC strongly recommends that you use Firefox or Google Chrome as your web browser rather than Internet Explorer. There are a number of known issues with using IE to access Blackboard.
* Have your class schedule available during the first week of classes. The classes you are registered to take are listed in the Student Information System, which you access through MyPVCC. On the first day of class, be sure to have a printed or online copy of your class schedule handy so you’ll know the date, time, building and room number of your classes. Remember, the letter which precedes the room number designates the building in which your class is held: D = Dickinson Building on main campus, G = Greene County at the PVCC Eugene Giuseppe Center, J = Jefferson School in downtown Charlottesville, K = Keats Science Building on the main campus, M = Main Building on the main campus and S = Stultz Center on the main campus.
* Use maps to help you find your way. Campus maps are available online here, or pick up printed copies from the receptionist at the south entrance to the Main Building or in the Admissions and Advising Center (Main Building, room M144). A campus map is also available on the PVCC app. Of course, any PVCC staff or faculty member is happy to help you if you have questions.
* Get a free parking decal if you’ll be parking your vehicle on the main campus, and observe parking signs. See this campus map for designated student parking lots. Warning: Your vehicle is subject to ticketing if you do not have a PVCC parking decal and/or you park in lots for employees or visitors. Decals are available in the Main Building at the receptionist’s desk at the south entrance, the Department of Public Safety & Campus Police (room M218 near the Library) or the Cashier’s Office (near the north entrance to PVCC).
* Get a student photo ID. This is not a requirement; however, having a PVCC student photo ID may enable you to find discounts around town. Get your photo ID from the Department of Public Safety & Campus Police in the Main Building (room M218 near the Library).
* Get help when you need it!
- The Admissions and Advising Center is your go-to place. Appointments are highly recommended. You can stop by (Main Building, room M144), call 434.961.6551 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Best times for walk-in assistance are 8-9 a.m. or 3-4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Sometimes during the summer, Friday hours may differ, so be sure to check www.pvcc.edu/hours.
- Help with online services:
Blackboard Help – Email Blackboard Support or call 434.961.5316.
Student Information System (SIS), student email, log-in, password or username – Email the IT Help Desk, call 434.961.5261, or stop by the Help Desk in the Technology Wing, room M832.
- Tutoring and other academic assistance (at no extra cost!)
Tutoring – Email email@example.com or call 434.961.5499.
First Quadrant Math Center
(business, mathematics, sciences and technologies tutoring)
Main Building, room M253
The Writing Center
(writing, humanities and social sciences tutoring)
Main Building, room M617
* Sign up to receive PVCC emergency or closing messages. For your safety and convenience, we strongly recommend that you sign up for our emergency alert system. It will notify you quickly with an email and/or text about PVCC closings due to inclement weather or about emergency situations. See sign up details here.