International Students

The International Club is just one of over 40 clubs at PVCC.

You will quickly feel at home in the multicultural student community at PVCC, and our International Club offers opportunities for social and academic interaction with fellow students from many different countries. PVCC is approved by the Immigration and Naturalization Services of the U.S. Department of Justice to enroll international students. F-1 students at PVCC are eligible to apply to all Associate Degree programs offered at the college. 

How to Enroll as an International Student at PVCC (F-1 Visa)

If you are applying for an F-1 student visa, you will need a form I-20 from PVCC. To request an I-20, submit the following application materials by the deadlines listed below:

  • Download and complete PVCC's International Student Packet. International Student Packet
  • Send official transcripts to PVCC. All academic records should be translated into English. Academic records must show graduation or completion of a high school equivalent education.
  • Submit a notarized or certified statement verifying financial support. This form is included in the International Student Packet.
  • Submit qualifying scores for the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) if English is not your native language. See the International Student Packet.
  • A copy of your passport.


Application Deadlines:

New International (F-1) Students - Fall deadline: June 1 / Spring deadline: November 1

Transfer (F-1) Students - Fall deadline: July 1 / Spring deadline: December 1


PVCC will notify you of your acceptance to the College after we receive all your materials. If you are accepted and PVCC issues you a form I-20, you must maintain full-time student status by taking at least 12 credit hours each semester. English as a Second Language (ESL) coursework is considered supplemental instruction and will not count towards the required 12 credits needed for full-timeTypically, two and one-half years is the maximum period you are certified under F-1 student status.

If you come to the United States on a temporary or student visa, you are considered a non-resident for tuition purposes, regardless of your length of stay, payment of taxes or ownership of property. F-1 students are not eligible to establish in-state tuition rates.

If you acquire a student visa from another College, you will not be considered for admission to PVCC until you have successfully completed one semester or term at the institution to which you were originally accepted. You must also present a written release from the institution indicating that you are academically eligible to return.

PVCC is not a residential campus and students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements. You may find our off-campus housing page helpful. 

If you have questions about studying at PVCC on another type of visa, please email the Admissions & Advising Center or call 434.961.6551.

Students with Other Visas

Any person with a visa other than an F-1 should follow the appropriate adult or high school student steps to enrollment. Students need to submit a copy of the visa to the Admissions & Advising Center. If the visa has expired, a copy of the receipt notice or a new visa must be submitted.

Undocumented Students

It is the policy of PVCC to admit applicants who are residing in Virginia who have graduated from a Virginia high school with a high school diploma or equivalent, even if they are not able to document their legal presence. Those who are unable to provide evidence of legal status will not be eligible for in-state tuition and fee rates.  Applicants who have questions about their ability to take classes should contact the Admissions and Advising Office for guidance.  

International Transcripts

For international college credits to be considered as transfer credits to PVCC, first meet with an academic advisor. To proceed with the process, please refer to How to Have International Transcripts Evaluated.