Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

GENERAL: How do I apply for the Pell Grant?

You can apply for a Pell Grant and all Federal Financial Aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, FAFSA for the current academic award year. 

How many credits do I have to take to be eligible for financial aid?

You may take as little as one credit hour per semester toward a program. If you would like to receive financial aid assistance, classes need to be a part of an approved degree or certificate program. If you would like to borrow a student loan you will need to register and maintain six credit hours throughout the semester.

1 - 5 credits is less than half-time enrollment.
6 - 8 credits is half-time enrollment.
9 -11 credits is three-quarter time enrollment.
12+ credits is full-time enrollment.

GENERAL: How can I pay for books?

If you have enough financial aid to cover the cost of your tuition and fees, your financial aid may be used to buy required textbooks and supplies at the PVCC bookstore. Do you have aid left over to charge books? 

  • Students with Financial Aid Awards packaged for Summer 2019 may charge books to their Financial Aid from May 14, 2019 through June 7, 2019. Please purchase all books and supplies needed for the semester during this time frame.
  • Complete the PVCC Book Authorization To-Do List Item on SIS Student Center. 
  • Wait 24 hours hours before you visit the PVCC Bookstore.
  • Select your supplies from the booksotre. Provide the PVCC Bookstore Staff with your Student ID to charge your books and supplies to your Financial Aid.

GENERAL: How do I pay for classes online?

Pay tuition online using MyPVCC and Quikpay:

  •     Log into MyPVCC.
  •     Click SIS Student Center. If you see the message that you have no charges at this time, Click Account Inquiry.
  •     Click Go to QuikPay.
  •     Complete payment information.
  •     View Payment Summary to confirm payment.
  •     Click Submit.
  •     Click View Confirmed Payment button to view and print payment confirmation and retain as documentation.

GENERAL: Do I have to wait to apply for financial aid after I have been accepted to PVCC?

No. Once you have applied to PVCC through the Admissions and Advising Center, we encourage you to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Some grant awards are based on a first-come, first-serve so it is important to apply as soon as possible. Completing the FAFSA application cuts down on the waiting time for class registration

GENERAL: Where is my financial aid refund?

The process of our school receiving federal financial aid to pay for your classes is not as simple as moving money from one account to another. After the latest last day to drop a course with a refund, the PVCC Financial Aid Office begins a multi-step process to process aid and refunds for the semester. Listed below is a quick summary of those steps:

1. Review and validate enrollment and confirm financial aid eligibility
2. Send reports for authorization to the Department of Education
3. Department of Education sends funds to PVCC’s  Business Office
4. Business office applies funds to student accounts (to pay for tuition, fees, and books)
5. Remaining funds (the refunds) are sent to Tuition Management System (TMS)
6. Refunds are disbursed by TMS to the student.

This process repeats several times during the semester depending on the Last Day to Drop a Course with a refund.

GENERAL: What if my financial aid does not cover all of my tuition and fees?

You are responsible for tuition and fees not covered by your financial aid package. Payment should be made at the PVCC Cashier's Office, Main Building M245, or online using Quikpay, by logging into MyPVCC.

Pay tuition online using MyPVCC and Quikpay:
  • Log into MyPVCC.
  • Click Student Center. If you see the message that you have no charges at this time, Click Account Inquiry.
  • Click Go to QuikPay.
  • Complete payment information.
  • View Payment Summary to confirm payment.
  • Click Submit.
  • Click View Confirmed Payment button to view and print payment confirmation and retain as documentation.

GENERAL: How do I receive my financial aid?

The PVCC Financial Aid Office will communicate with students via SIS Student Center and PVCC email. When the Financial Aid Office first recieves a student's FAFSA, the student will recieve an message from the office. PVCC automatically applies your awarded aid to the cost of tuition, fees and books. This shows in your financial aid account.  At this point, you do not have to pay anything further unless your aid does not cover your total charges. You are responsible for tuition, fees and books not covered by your financial aid package. Payment should be made at the PVCC Cashier's Office, located in room 245 in the Main Building, or through Quikpay, by logging into MyPVCC. See Payment Deadlines.

GENERAL: How can I view my financial aid account?

Follow these steps to view your financial aid account page in the Student Information System (SIS):

  1. Go to MyPVCC.
  2. Enter your Username and Password.
  3. Click Log In.
  4. Select SIS: Student Information System.
  5. In the far left menu box, select Student Center.
  6. Select View Financial Aid, Account Inquiry or your To Do List.

GENERAL: My financial aid is suspended. What do I do next?

Your financial aid will be suspended for not maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progres (SAP).

A To-Do List item will populate in your SIS Student Center if you are not meeting SAP.  To re-establish your eligibility for financial aid at PVCC, the student must complete and submit a SAP Appeal. 

For Your SAP Appeal

  1. Include a personal statement describing the impact and circumstances that prevented you from meeting the SAP standards. Provide supporting documentation, if applicable. 
  • Why you were unable to maintain satisfactory progress?
  • What corrective measures you have taken to achieve and maintain satisfactory academic progress?
  1. Meet with a Student Success Advisor to complete an Academic Plan to re-establish SAP. 
  2. Submit the completed SAP Appeal form, supporting documentation and Academic Plan to the Financial Aid Office to be reviewed.

If the College approves an appeal, the student must adhere to the academic plan and any conditions outlined within the appeal approval. Failure to meet the outlined academic plan or any conditions for which the appeal is granted will result in the loss of financial aid eligibility.

ELIGIBILITY: What are the eligibility requirements to receive financial aid?

  • Be a U.S. citizen or registered permanent resident (eligible noncitizen).
  • Have a valid Social Security number.
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or have completed Home School.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Be enrolled in an approved degree or certificate program at PVCC.
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan.
  • Not owe an overpayment for a federal student grant.
  • Have registered with Selective Services if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25.
  • Have settled any outstanding account balances with PVCC.
  • Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • Complete verification, if required.
  • Have completed all items on your SIS Student Service Center To-Do List in MyPVCC.
  • If you do not meet eligibility requirements, you still may be able to receive other forms of financial assistance.

ELIGIBILITY: I am a veteran. Am I eligible to use veteran's education benefits and financial aid?

Yes, you can. Please schedule an appointment to meet with a PVCC Veterans Affairs Advisor and visit the PVCC Financial Aid Office.

ELIGIBILITY: How do I become an independent student for federal financial aid purposes?

If you meet one of the following criteria, you are considered independent:

  • You are 24 years old by the last day of the previous year
  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • You are married
  • You are a ward of the court
  • Your parents are deceased
  • You provide more than 50 percent financial support for a legal dependent

FAFSA Dependency Status

ELIGIBILITY: I received financial aid this year. Do I need to reapply to receive aid again next year?

Yes. Your financial aid covers only one academic year (fall, spring and summer). You must submit a new FAFSA for every academic year you plan to attend and receive financial aid.

ELIGIBILITY: Why did my financial need change from last year?

Any change to your family's financial situation, household size or in PVCC's tuition and fees can affect your level of need. The difference between the total cost of attending PVCC and the ability of you and your family to contribute financially to your education can change in your financial need. 

ELIGIBILITY: Can I receive financial aid at more than one college at a time?

A student may only receive financial aid from one college at a time. A consortium agreement allows a student to include classes from another college with their financial aid package at the college from which they plan to graduate. Classes must be part of their degree program and be approved by both PVCC and the other college prior to aid disbursement. Students must also pay for tuition, fees and books at the other college out-of-pocket until they can be reimbursed by PVCC Financial Aid Office based on the student’s financial aid eligibility. A new consortium agreement will need to be completed for each additional college and semester the student attends.

FAFSA: What is an FSA ID?

A Federal Student Aid ID is a username and password you create to:

  • Electronically sign your FAFSA.
  • Retrieve FAFSA renewal information over the Internet.
  • File a FAFSA renewal online.
  • Access the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).
  • View information about federal student aid you receive.
  • Complete Entrance Counseling.
  • Electronically sign the Federal Direct Stafford and PLUS Loan Master Promissory Notes.

Keep your FSA ID confidential in order to protect your privacy.

FAFSA: What is PVCC's School Code?

PVCC's Title IV School Code is 009928. You will need to indicate the school code on the FAFSA application so that the U.S. Department of Education knows you want PVCC to receive your information.

FAFSA: If my parents are divorced or separated, do they both have to contribute to my education?

For federal student aid, only the custodial parent and their current spouse, if any, must complete the FAFSA.  The non-custodial parent is not required to report information for federal student aid purposes unless the non-custodial parent is a biological or adoptive parent living with the biological or adoptive custodial parent, then they too would also provide information on the FAFSA application.

FAFSA: What is my Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?

When you apply for federal student aid, the information you report on the FAFSA is used to calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is the amount the federal government believes that you and your family can contribute toward your education.

FAFSA: What is a Student Aid Report (SAR)?

A Student Aid Report (SAR) is a summary of the information you submitted on your FAFSA. You can view your SAR by logging in to the FAFSA website. If errors are found, you can make corrections.

FAFSA: What happens after I file my FAFSA?

The Department of Education has up to five days to process and send your FAFSA information to the schools you have listed. Within two days of PVCC receiving your FAFSA information, you will recieve an award letter in your SIS Message Center and To-Do List items if you are selected for verification. All financial aid awards are based on full-time enrollment (12 credit hours or more) and will be adjusted to your enrollment.

VERIFICATION: What is verification?

Verification is a process to confirm the information you provided on the FAFSA application. The U.S. Department of Education randomly selects students. PVCC Financial Aid Office may also select students for verification if data on your FAFSA is inconsistent, incomplete or estimated. If you are selected for the verification process you will receive a letter in the mail and it will be on your To-Do List in SIS Student Center.

VERIFICATION: How do I complete verification?

Refer to the To-Do List in SIS Student Center. Your To-Do List will list the names of documents needed, as well as instructions.

VERIFICATION: What is an IRS Tax Return Transcript?

An IRS Tax Return Transcripts shows most line items from your original tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as filed, along with any forms and schedules. It doesn’t show changes made after you filed your original return. This transcript is only available for the current tax year and returns processed during the prior three years. Learn how to request a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS.

LOAN: How do I apply for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan?

  • Complete and submit the FAFSA application for the current award year.
  • Enroll and remain in a minimum of six credit hours per semester in an accredited degree or certificate program at PVCC.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • Complete a PVCC Loan Request Form available from the PVCC Financial Aid Office or online on the PVCC website.
  • Complete online Entrance Counseling and electronically sign a Master Promissory Note at

LOAN: What is a Federal Direct PLUS Loan?

The Federal Direct PLUS Loan program is designed to assist parent(s) of dependent students with tuition and expenses. The parent must agree to a credit check and be pre-approved before they may borrow a PLUS Loan. Parents may borrow up to the cost of attendance minus other forms of financial aid, including grants, scholarships and student Federal Direct Stafford Loans. Repayment begins 60 days after the last disbursement is made unless the parent borrower is approved for forbearance (deferment of payment) with the lender.  

LOAN: What is the difference between a Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Stafford loan?

Federal Direct Stafford Subsidized Loans will not accumulate interest while you are enrolled in school at least part-time—six credit hours. Interest will begin to accrue six months after you graduate, withdraw, or drop below half-time enrollment.

Federal Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loans begin accumulating interest the first day the loan is disbursed until the loan is paid in full. Subsidized Loans are also based on financial need determined by information reported on your FAFSA, while the Unsubsidized Loan is not based on financial need.

LOAN: What is the difference between student loans and a parent PLUS loan?

The Federal Direct Loan Programs are Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans students may borrow in their name and are responsible for paying back. While the Federal Direct PLUS Loan Program is designed for parents to take out in their name for their dependent student and the parent is responsible for paying it back. Parent borrowers are required to have a credit check performed, while student borrowers are not. Repayment for Federal Direct Loans are not required until six months after a student graduates, withdraws from college or is enrolled in less than six credit hours. Parent PLUS Loans begin repayment 60 days after the last disbursement.

WORK STUDY: What is the Federal Work-Study Program?

The Federal Work-Study Program creates part-time job and skills training opportunities for students with financial need, while helping them to earn money toward educational and personal expenses. First, indicate your interest in the work-study program on your FAFSA application. If you are eligible, you will receive a PVCC financial aid award letter indicating your eligibility. Contact PVCC's Career Services for assistance at 434.961.5264 or visit JobNet. If you are NOT interested in a Federal Work-Study position, you can decline the offer via written statement. 

WITHDRAWAL: What happens if I have financial aid and I withdraw after the add/drop date?

Withdrawing from classes before completing 60 percent of the semester means that you have not earned your full financial aid award. The PVCC Financial Aid Office will calculate the percentage of time you did attend during the semester and determine your eligibility. This may result in you owing the balance no longer covered by financial aid funds. If you complete over 60 percent of the semester, you will have earned 100 percent of your aid. If you are considering withdrawing from a class we encourage you to contact the PVCC Financial Aid Office first.

PRIVACY: Who has access to my financial aid records?

PVCC Financial Aid Office and Call Center have access to this confidential information. If you would like financial aid to discuss information with your parents, spouse, or other family members you must complete a consent of third-party release form in person in the Financial Aid with a valid picture ID.