Residency Requirements

Summer operating hours

Where you live determines the amount of tuition and fees that you pay to attend PVCC. Your eligibility for the in-state tuition rate is based upon the information that you provided on your PVCC application. If you listed Virginia as your state of residence (by qualifying for residency based upon the information in the Frequently Asked Questions below) you will receive in-state tuition rates.

The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) issues the guidelines that Virginia colleges and universities use to determine a student's eligibility for in-state tuition.

The Admissions & Advising Center at PVCC will be happy to help you if you have further questions. 

Frequently Asked Questions: 

How do I establish Virginia Residency (Domicile)?

As required by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia guidelines, you must establish by clear and convincing evidence that you were domiciled in Virginia (were a resident of the state) for a period of at least one year immediately prior to the first day of the enrollment semester/term. The following are used as clear and convincing evidence to determine your domicile (residency) status:

  • Continuous residence in Virginia
  • State income tax payment
  • Driver's License or Identification Card
  • Motor vehicle registration
  • Voter registration
  • Military records
  • Additional information if required or requested
If I am below the age of 24, is my residency classification different?

If you are legally and financially dependent on your parents, a legal guardian or spouse, your eligibility for in-state tuition is based on their domicile (residency). You will be classified as a dependent student if you are under age 24 on the first day of classes unless you are:

  • Married
  • A veteran or active-duty member of the U. S. armed forces
  • In graduate school
  • A ward of the court or were a ward of the court until age 18
  • Have no adoptive or legal guardian when both parents are deceased
  • Have legal dependents other than a spouse

If you are under the age of 24 and do not meet any of the independent student conditions noted above, you are considered dependent and must demonstrate through clear and convincing evidence that you are independent. Your parents will need to provide documentation that they do not claim you as a dependent on their federal or state income tax return and have ceased to provide you with substantial financial support.

How is my domicile determined if I am married?

If you are married, you may establish domicile (residency) like any other student. Your domicile is not automatically altered by marriage; however, if you receive substantial financial support from your spouse, you may claim domicile through that spouse. In such cases, PVCC will look at your spouse's domicile to determine if you are eligible for in-state tuition.

How is my domicile determined if I am active duty military or a military dependent?

The domicile (residency) guidelines issued by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) provide that all dependents of active duty military personnel assigned to a permanent duty station in Virginia and who reside in Virginia shall be deemed to be domiciled in Virginia for the purpose of eligibility for in-state tuition. Due to frequent changes to military policies, please contact the Admissions & Advising Center for additional information.

How do I request a review or appeal for an out-of-state tuition classification?

If you are a new student at PVCC this semester or are returning after an absence of at least one year and you have been classified as out-of-state for tuition purposes, you may request a review of the initial determination without submitting a full appeal. If you have already registered, be sure to submit the review request no later than one week before the tuition payment deadline. Please contact PVCC's Admissions & Advising Center (room M144 in Main Building) at 434.961.6581 to discuss your situation and documents required. You will be notified of a decision and if you desire to appeal your tuition status, you may do so until the day before the first official day of the term.

If requesting an appeal after being denied after the review process, in addition to the Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates you must also provide supporting documentation and a letter addressed to PVCC's Dean of Student Services, 501 College Drive, Charlottesville, VA 22902. You may mail it or deliver the letter in person to the Admissions & Advising Center (room M144 in PVCC's Main Building). Evaluation of the appeal will be completed by the first day of classes for each enrollment term. Retroactive domicile status cannot be granted. Written notification of the college decision will be mailed within fifteen (15) calendar days of receipt of the completed application. If you are denied in-state tuition status, you will be notified of the reasons and be given information on how to either file a request for reconsideration of the decision or how to appeal the decision further.