The PVCC Honors Program engages a diverse population of motivated students in a community of scholars, and provides opportunities for them to experience distinctive classes and extra-curricular experiences which foster intellectual curiosity and critical, innovative thinking and promote leadership and service.
Several PVCC Honors students have been recognized nationally by being named to the All-USA Community College Academic First Team and at the state level as New Century Scholars. Other PVCC Honors students have received scholarships and academic awards at PVCC and have played prominent roles in the College’s Student Government Association and clubs. Our students have transferred successfully to the University of Virginia's College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Engineering and to the highly competitive McIntire School of Commerce, to Virginia Tech, the College of William and Mary, James Madison University, Mary Baldwin College, Georgetown University and Smith College among others in and out of state.
PVCC offers smaller, seminar-style classes for motivated students. Students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 who meet the course prerequisites may enroll themselves in an Honors class. Honors classes are designated by a -77 section number.
HONORS CLASSES FOR SPRING 2018
BIO 107 -77 Biology of Environment T/Th 9:30-10:45 J. Scott
Lab Th 11:00-1:45
ENG 112-77 College Composition II T/Th 2:00-3:15 J. Koster
HIS 122-77 U.S. History II Wednesday 2:00-3:15 (Hybrid course- will meet every Wednesday with rest of weekly class work on Blackboard) J. Tomas
HUM 202-77 Survey of Western Culture II MWF 10:00-10:50 J. Kingsley
PLS 212 -77 U.S. Government II T/Th 2:00-3:15 C. Jorgensen
PSY 200 -77 Principles of Psychology T/Th 2:00-3:15 C. Huffman
SPA 102-77 Beginning Spanish II MTWTh 10:00-10:50 K. Decker
PVCC also offers these recognition programs and honor societies for students:
- Honor Society - Phi Theta Kappa (PTK)
- Grade Honors - President’s and Vice President’s Lists
- Distinguished Student Award
- Graduation Honors
Frequently Asked Questions:
Honors classes cover the same core material as regular classes, but are smaller (18-20 students) and more interactive and may offer research and other experiential opportunities. Honors classes will be noted on the student’s transcript.
Any PVCC student with a minimum GPA of 3.0 may enroll themself in an Honors class if they meet the prerequisites for the course.
Students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 may enroll themselves in Honors classes if they meet the class prerequisites. Honors classes are designated in the Student Information System (SIS) and in printed class schedules with a 77 section number.
For more information about these classes, contact the Honors Program Coordinator.
In addition to taking Honors classes, students will benefit from being part of the Honors Program student community and may take advantage of:
- Participation in leadership, social and cultural activities.
- Unique scholarship opportunities.
- May earn the Honors Diploma based on 15 credits of Honors courses completed with a GPA of 3.5 or better. Recognition at graduation with an Honors medallion and notation in the graduation program.
Students New to PVCC
Follow the steps below:
- Apply to PVCC.
- Take the placement tests in PVCC's Learning Center, or you can submit a copy of your SAT or ACT scores. (See #4 below)
- Complete and submit the online Honors Program application form.
- Provide the following items to the Honors Program Coordinator:
- A copy of your high school transcript (if you are a recent graduate) or transcripts from any College or university that you have attended.
- A copy of your SAT or ACT scores if you wish, or if you are submitting them in lieu of the tests.
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher, guidance counselor, employer or someone other than a family member who knows you well. These letters may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent by regular mail.
- A brief personal statement describing your academic interests and goals. This may be emailed to email@example.com or sent by regular mail, OR Schedule an interview with Ann Marie Plunkett to discuss these.
Follow the steps below:
Complete and submit the online Honors Program application form.
Provide the following items to the Honors Program Coordinator:
a. A recommendation from a PVCC teacher or counselor. This should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
b. A brief personal statement describing your academic interests and goals. This may be emailed to email@example.com OR Schedule an interview with Ann Marie Plunkett to discuss these.
Ann Marie Plunkett
Honor Program Coordinator