Who We Are
Piedmont Virginia Community College (PVCC) is a comprehensive, public institution of higher education that awards associate degrees and certificates. As part of the Virginia Community College System, PVCC serves the City of Charlottesville and the counties of Albemarle, Buckingham, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa and Nelson.
Piedmont Virginia Community College seeks to be a leader and innovator in post-secondary education. PVCC will be the college of choice for students to advance their education and career goals, and pursue lifelong learning.
Piedmont Virginia Community College offers accessible, affordable, high-quality educational programs that promote student success and community vitality. Our mission is achieved through:
- Transfer programs that prepare students for admission to four-year colleges and universities and successful pursuit of a baccalaureate degree.
- Workforce programs that prepare students for employment or promotion in a career and promote a skilled regional workforce by meeting the training and educational needs of employers.
- Rigorous coursework and a full range of academic and student support services that assist students in achieving their educational and career goals.
- Developmental studies courses that prepare students for college transfer and career and technical programs.
- Community service that promotes community involvement, educational access, and opportunities for residents of the region.
Piedmont Virginia Community College values:
Access to high-quality, affordable education to prepare students for transfer to baccalaureate degree programs, as well as for entry into or advancement in the workforce. A college education should be available to all.
Academic Rigor to develop each individual to his or her full potential. We insist on rigorous standards while providing a supportive environment in which students can achieve.
Student Success. We are committed to helping our students succeed. We measure our success by the skills and abilities of our students when they leave, rather than by their standing when they enter.
Community Impact. We develop innovative programs to meet the changing needs of our students and the business community, while contributing to the economic, civic and cultural vitality of our region, the Commonwealth of Virginia, our nation, and the world.
Professionalism. Our dedicated and knowledgeable faculty and staff are experts in their disciplines, excel at instruction, and are committed to helping students achieve their goals.
Intellectual Vitality. We engage our students and each other in well-reasoned inquiry, creative thinking, problem solving, and the exchange of ideas.
Diversity: We value and support the diversity of our students, faculty, and staff. We seek to promote an understanding and appreciation of differences by creating an inclusive environment embracing individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and aspirations.
Complete 2021 is the six-year strategic plan for Virginia's 23 community colleges to meet the needs of the communities served by these institutions. The plan focuses on five major goal areas: connection, entry, progression, completion and affordability and sustainability. Piedmont Virginia Community College's goals are strategically linked to the Complete 2021 plan.