The G.O.A.L. program allows qualifying students to borrow a laptop for an entire semester. These students will be allowed to take the laptop home with them, but it must be returned to the library at the end of the semester. Please note that we only have 30 laptops to loan. We will distribute them to qualifying students on a first-come, first-served basis.
Students who had a laptop during the 2016-17 academic year will receive first priority, provided they returned the laptop in good condition by last year's deadlines, turn in their fall 2017 application by 8/4/17, and meet the qualifications for fall 2017. After that, we will distribute the remaining laptops to other qualifying students on a first-come, first-served basis. To qualify, your expected family contribution (EFC) must be $3,000 or less. You must be enrolled in at least 6 credits, and at least one of these classes must be face-to-face on the main campus.
How do I apply?
Applications will be accepted in-person in the library beginning at 8:00 AM on July 24, 2017. Applications will continue to be recieved until all laptops are distributed, but previous participants must submit the application by 8/4/17 to be guaranteed a laptop. You may fill out this online application, but you must print it out and bring it to the library. Applications are also available in paper form in Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Success, and the Library. A waitlist will be generated if the number of applicants exceeds the number of computers available.
When will the laptops be distributed?
You will be notified via email and letter that you have been selected for the program. You must attend a mandatory orientation session in the library on Friday, August 18, 2017 at 1:00 PM. You will receive the laptop at that time and sign a contract promising to return it at the end of the semester.
I am registered for 6+ credits, but what happens if I need to drop the class?
You may keep the laptop through the end of the semester if you drop below 6 credits. However, if you drop all of your classes and withdraw from school, you must return the device.
Am I eligible if I am on academic probation?
Yes. However, if you participate in this program, you must meet with a retention advisor.
I am going to need a laptop for the entire time I'm attending PVCC. What happens in future semesters? Do I have to re-apply?
Yes. The laptops must be returned at the end of each semester for maintenance. You must then fill out a new application for future semesters to borrow another laptop, and you must qualify again for that semester. However, when distributing the laptops, we will give preference to students who borrowed one in a previous semester.
Ok, I've been accepted to the program! What are the rules for borrowing the laptop?
Each person who receives a laptop signs a contract agreeing to the following responsibilities. Note: The dates on these will change for the spring semester.
- I understand that the laptop is my responsibility while it is checked out to me. I will take all reasonable precautions to protect it. If others use it while it is checked out to me and damage or loss occurs, I understand that I will be held liable for any loss, damage, or criminal acts.
- I agree that I will be responsible for repair or replacement of the computer and/or its case due to any loss, damage, or theft. Damage is defined as any physical damage to the machine or its case outside of the normal wear and tear. (Examples of physical damage include a cracked LCD screen, CD drive broken, keyboard keys broken or missing, etc.)
- I understand that if the laptop is stolen or damaged, I must notify library personnel immediately and, if stolen or lost, file a police report with the PVCC Dept. of Public Safety & Campus Police. If damage is discovered after the laptop is returned, then I will forfeit my ability to borrow a laptop in future semesters. The exact repair or replacement cost will be determined in conjunction with the IT Department when it is reported.
- If I do not return the laptop and case by 9:30pm on December 18, I will be charged a $5.00/day overdue fine (maximum fine $35). A hold will be placed on my account, and any unpaid fines will be turned over to a collections agency. I forfeit my ability to borrow a laptop in future semesters if the device is not returned within 7 days.
- I understand that I am responsible for any/all fines incurred.
- If I drop all of my fall classes, then I promise to return the laptop to the library within 72 hours of my drop date. I will be charged $5.00/day for every day that I'm late (maximum fine $35) and a hold will be placed on my account. Unpaid fees will be turned over to a collections agency.
- I understand that Piedmont Virginia Community College is NOT responsible for loss of data or damage to files that may occur during the use of the laptop.
- I agree to abide by the terms laid out in the PVCC Computer Use Policy as well as respect any and all applicable copyright laws or software licenses.
- I am responsible for the replacement cost of the laptop if it is more than a year overdue.