Degree Type:Associate of Applied Science Degree
Minimum Total Credit Hours to Complete:
- CTE (Career & technical education programs for job training)
The Associate of Applied Science degree in Nursing at Piedmont Virginia Community College prepares graduates to be contributing members of the health-care team, providing direct patient care as beginning practitioners of professional nursing in structured-care settings such as hospitals, nursing homes, doctors' offices, clinics and schools. Graduates will be eligible to take the NCLEX-RN Examination required for licensure as a registered nurse (RN).
Jobs this program prepares you for:
- Registered Nurse (RN)
Additional Program Information:
- The application for the LPN Transition program for spring 2016 has now closed and will reopen for spring 2017 on July 1, 2016.
- The application for the Nursing program for fall 2016 has now closed and will reopen for fall 2017 on November 7, 2016.
Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) Test Dates
This test is an admissions requirement for students who do not already have an associate degree or higher. Students may take the TEAS test on a walk-in basis in the Testing Center starting in November 28th if they are applying for the 2017 nursing program. Tests must be taken no later than February 15, 2017. If you have questions, please call 434.961.5320. Please note that the cost for taking the TEAS test is $45 and must be paid by credit card online on the day of the test. The Testing Center cannot accept cash or check payments for this exam.
Students entering the Nursing degree program are required to take one Writing Intensive Course in order to graduate. The Writing Intensive Course for this program is NUR 201, which has a prerequisite of ENG 112. Students who are awarded transfer academic credit for this course at another institution may fulfill the Writing Intensive Course (WIC) requirement for this degree program by completing another Writing Intensive Course (WIC).
- List of courses that fulfill the requirement for the Humanities Elective can be found in the aas nursing curriculum sheet 2015-2016
- Completion of general education courses is one criteria used to make admissions decisions.
Printable Nursing Degree Requirements