Degree Type: 

Associate of Science Degree
Education Associate of Science Degree

Minimum Total Credit Hours to Complete: 


  • Transfer
    Transfer Degree

The Associate of Science degree in Education at Piedmont Virginia Community College prepares you for transfer to a four-year college or university to complete a bachelor's degree in a particular subject and then to enter the teaching field or apply for graduate-level studies. PVCC has guaranteed transfer agreements with top colleges and universities that guarantee admission to PVCC graduates who meet specific academic transfer criteria. 

Guaranteed Transfer Option: Students who wish to attend James Madison University for teacher licensure programs may participate in a special agreement that results in guaranteed transfer if students maintain a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) and complete the  Special Curriculum for JMU. Contact PVCC's Admissions & Advising Center for more information.

Jobs this program prepares you for: 

  • Education Administrator
  • Instructional Coordinator
  • Librarian
  • Special Education Teacher
  • Teacher
  • Vocational Education Teacher

Required Courses: 

Linked classes are classes that are currently available in the class search.

Additional Program Information: 

Graduation Requirement

Students entering all transfer degree programs are required to take one Writing Intensive Course, which has a prerequisite of ENG 111 and ENG 112, in order to graduate. Approved Writing Intensive Courses are specified with a "WI" section designation.


  • ART/MUS Elective:  Students may select from ART 101, ART 102, MUS 121, or MUS 122 based on their intended transfer college or university.
  • Literature:  Choice one course from the following options:  ENG 241, 242, 243, 244, 251, 252, 253, 254, or 255.
  • Students should choose an elective based on their intended transfer college or university.
  • Students should choose the lab science based on their intended transfer college or university.

Printable  Education Degree Requirements