Degree Type:Associate of Science Degree
Minimum Total Credit Hours to Complete:
- Transfer Degree
The Associate of Science degree in Education at Piedmont Virginia Community College prepares you for transfer to a four-year college or university to complete a bachelor's degree in a particular subject and then to enter the teaching field or apply for graduate-level studies. PVCC has guaranteed transfer agreements with top colleges and universities that guarantee admission to PVCC graduates who meet specific academic transfer criteria.
This curriculum is designed for students seeking Pre-K-8 licensure and is alos applicable to Special Education K-12.
JMU Regional Teacher Education Option
Guaranteed Transfer Option: Students who wish to attend James Madison University for teacher licensure programs may participate in a special agreement that results in guaranteed transfer if students maintain a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) and complete the JMU Regional Teacher Education Agreement Degree Requirements. Contact PVCC's Admissions & Advising Center for more information.
JMU also offers additional RTEA Agreements for Art Pre-K-12, Foreign Language Pre-K-12, Health and Physical Education Pre-K-12, Biology/Chemistry/Earth Science/Physics 6-12, English 6-12, Mathematics 6-12, and Social Studies 6-12.
If you are interested in one of these tracks, make an appoitment with an academic advisor to discuss the best degree option for you. A full listing of licensure options and thier requirements are available at www.jmu.edu/coe/esc/rtea/alignment.shtml.
Jobs this program prepares you for:
- Education Administrator
- Instructional Coordinator
- Special Education Teacher
- Vocational Education Teacher
Additional Program Information:
Students entering all transfer degree programs are required to take one Writing Intensive Course, which has a prerequisite of ENG 111 and ENG 112, in order to graduate. Approved Writing Intensive Courses are specified with a "WI" section designation.
- ART/MUS Elective: Students may select from ART 101, ART 102, MUS 121, or MUS 122 based on their intended transfer college or university.
- Literature: Choice one course from the following options: ENG 241, 242, 243, 244, 251, 252, 253, 254, or 255.
- Students should choose an elective based on their intended transfer college or university.
- Students should choose the lab science based on their intended transfer college or university.
Printable Education Degree Requirements