Degree Type:Associate of Applied Science Degree
Minimum Total Credit Hours to Complete:
- CTE (Career & technical education programs for job training)
The Associate of Applied Science degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography at Piedmont Virginia Community College prepares you for an entry-level job administering diagnostic ultrasound exams to individuals in hospitals, clinics or doctors' offices. The program offers a combination of classes taught on campus and hands-on instruction and application of knowledge and skills at multiple clinical sites throughout PVCC's service region. Graduates of this program are eligible to take the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) Sonography Certification Exam.
This degree program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
Jobs this program prepares you for:
Additional Program Information:
After applying to PVCC, students must also Apply to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program. Completion of general education courses is one criteria used to make admissions decisions. The deadline for applying to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program for fall 2014 has passed. The application for fall 2015 will reopen February 1, 2015. The application deadline is May 15, 2015.
Students entering the Diagnostic Medical Sonography degree program are required to take one Writing Intensive Course in order to graduate. The Writing Intensive Course for this program is DMS 222, which has a prerequisite of ENG 111 and ENG 112. Students who are awarded transfer academic credit for this course at another institution may fulfill the Writing Intensive Course (WIC) requirement for this degree programs by completing another Writing Intensive Course (WIC).
- Students may substitute a higher-level math course to include: MTH 163, MTH 173, MTH 174, or MTH 180
- List of courses that fulfill the requirement for Humanities and Social Science Electives can be found in the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Degree Requirements.
- Introductory (101 or 102 level) foreign language courses will not meet the humanities elective requirement for this program.
Diagnostic Medical Sonography Information Sessions
Final information sessions before the application deadline click the link below to sign up for one of the sessions:
- Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 5 p.m., room M229 (Auditorium)
- Friday, March 20, 2015, 4 p.m., room M229 (Auditorium)