Degree Type:Associate of Arts Degree
Minimum Total Credit Hours to Complete:
- Transfer Degree
This program results in the Associate of Arts degree in Visual and Performing Arts - Art Specialization, which prepares you for transfer to a four-year college or university to complete a bachelor's degree. PVCC has guaranteed transfer agreements with top colleges and universities that guarantee admission to PVCC graduates who meet specific academic transfer criteria. This program also serves the needs of artists who wish to improve their skills and broaden their knowledge in the fine arts.
Jobs this program prepares you for:
- Art Director
- Art Teacher
- Craft Artist
- Fine Artist
- Multi-Media Artist
- Museum Technician
Additional Program Information:
Students entering all transfer degree programs are required to take one Writing Intensive Course in order to graduate. The Writing Intensive Course prerequisites are ENG 111 and ENG 112. Approved Writing Intensive Courses (sections MUST be specified): ENG 242, ENG 253, ENG 243, HUM 201/202, PHI 100, HIS 101, SOC 200, ART 101, CHM 242, CHM 244, CHM 260, BIO 256, ITE 182.
- Art Elective: Students should complete a full year of studio art. Studio courses are ART 121, 122 and ART 131, 132.
- Foreign Language Elective: Students may test for advanced placement into the second year of some foreign languages. However, if a student places out of a level of foreign language, the student does not earn college credit for that particular level.
- Humanities, Social Science, Mathematics, and Science with Laboratory Electives: A list of courses that fulfill these elective requirements can be found in the Art Degree Requirements.
- Social Science Elective: Students who wish to transfer to the University of Virginia must take the two social science courses from different departments.
- Humanities and Foreign Language Electives: Students are advised to complete course work designed to match their area of interest and transfer requirements. Students who wish to transfer to the University of Virginia must take three semester hours (3) of literature, religion, or philosophy in addition to their art courses. Students who wish to transfer to the University of Virginia or the College of William and Mary need to take a foreign language through the 202 level.
Printable Art Degree Requirements