You are entitled to a waiver of tuition for credit or noncredit classes at PVCC if you are age 60 or older, have been a legal Virginia resident for at least one year and if your income for the past taxable year did not exceed $15,000 as indicated on your state income tax form.
This waiver does not cover expenses for instructional materials, including books and lab fees and other college costs.
Fee-Paying Students Admitted First to All Classes
Virginia law requires PVCC to accommodate all fee-paying students prior to admitting senior citizen fee-waiver students in classes and there must be a sufficient number of fee-paying students registered to run the class. Once these conditions are met, you will be seated on a space-available basis in the classes you have chosen.
You may choose to pay for a class to guarantee a seat. After the semester has begun, however, you will not be eligible to change to fee-waiver status and receive a refund.
How to Enroll as a Senior Fee-Waiver Student
Follow the steps below. If you have questions along the way, please email the Admissions & Advising Center or call 434.961.6551. We are happy to assist you.
- Apply to PVCC. Please choose "credit" classes on the application if the class is listed in the credit schedule (even if you plan to audit the class). After completing your application, you will receive an EmplID number on the confirmation page. Please have this number available as you complete the registration process.
- Complete a senior citizen waiver form or pick up a form in the Admissions & Advising Center.
- Register in person for classes at the PVCC Admissions & Advising Center by the "Last Day to Register/Add/Audit" deadline as noted in the Academic Calendar and be sure to bring your completed senior citizen waiver form.
- Pay tuition and fees (if you are not a fee-waived student) at MyPVCC. Email the Help Desk or call 434.961.5261 if you experience difficulty using the online payment system.
- Purchase textbooks from the PVCC Bookstore or PVCC's Used Book Web site. PVCC's Bookstore is located in the Main Building.
If you are a student with a disability, please click here for information on PVCC's disability services.