What is Service Learning?
Service learning is a teaching and learning strategy where PVCC faculty and students get together with community organizations to solve real-world problems and improve their communities by combining class content and community service. But service learning isn’t just volunteering for college students. The community service opportunities that are part of service learning projects are directly related to the topics, concepts and skills taught in class, providing students with hands-on learning experiences, usable job skills and a meaningful way to interact with members of the community.
Students: Service Learning provides a number of tangible benefits for you!
- Gain confidence in your ability to make an impact on complex social challenges, problems, and needs.
- Gain valuable problem-solving and communication skills.
- Gain awareness of your communities, leading to a greater sense of civic engagement.
- Interact directly with local organizations in ways that may lead to future employment.
- Students who participate in service learning are more likely to be feel that their coursework is meaningful.