Graduation requirements, including the number of credits required for associate degrees and certificates, are detailed in the current PVCC Catalog.
In order to be awarded a degree or certificate, you must:
- Be officially enrolled in a program of study (curriculum)
- Apply to graduate. (Deadline to apply for spring graduation is March 15.)
- Complete all course requirements for your program of study
- Resolve all financial obligations to the College
- Complete the PVCC Exit Survey and any required Exit Assessments
If you indicated on your Graduation Application that you intend to participate in spring commencement, you will receive a letter in early April with instructions. If you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony but have not received a letter by May 1, please contact the Registrar's Office in Room 608.
Participation in PVCC's commencement ceremony does not denote official certification of a degree or certificate. Your graduation is official only after all program requirements have been met and documented by the Registrar's Office.
For more information, visit the Registrar's Office located in room M608 in the Main Building, or call 434.961.6551 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Caps and Gowns
Caps and gowns should be picked up from the PVCC Bookstore, and there is no charge to graduates. It is not necessary to order these.
Honor Cords at PVCC Graduation
Gold honor cords are awarded to all students who have earned the Cum Laude (3.2 GPA), Magna Cum Laude (3.5 GPA) or Summa Cum Laude (3.8 GPA) distinction. Because of time restraints with final grades, this cumulative GPA does not include the grades earned in the final spring semester prior to graduation. The honor cords will be distributed to those students being honored on graduation night before the ceremony. This tradition enables us to single out in a special way those students who excelled through hard work and perseverance.
PVCC provides each graduate with 10 free graduation announcements available from PVCC's Cashier's Office located in room M237 in the Main Building. Additional announcements may be purchased for a nominal fee.
Ceremony Line-Up Time for Graduates
Graduates need to check in by 4:30 p.m. at the John Paul Jones Arena. Please do not bring personal belongings with you. There is no storage space available. Cell phones must be turned off during the line-up procedure.
PVCC orders student diplomas approximately one month after the commencement ceremony. You will receive your diploma by mail 8-10 weeks after it has been ordered. Diplomas will be mailed to the address indicated on the Graduation Application. If your address changes; please notify Jeannie Perutelli at email@example.com.
Proof of Graduation
If you need proof of graduation, please request an official transcript. Allow up to two weeks after your graduation date for your transcript to reflect your completed degree or certificate. The transcript will be mailed to you.
Frequently Asked Questions:
In order to be awarded a PVCC degree or certificate, you must:
- Be officially enrolled in a program of study.
- Complete all course requirements for your program of study.
- Resolve all financial obligations to the College.
- Complete the PVCC Exit Survey and any required Graduate Exit Assessments.
Prior to graduation, students are required to complete one or more tests, surveys, questionnaires, projects, capstone courses or other activities designed to assess general education achievement, achievement in selected major areas, and/or other aspects of their education at PVCC. Students will be notified of required assessments in the semester in which they file an application to graduate. Results of these assessments will be kept confidential and will be used for evaluating and improving college programs and services. Individual assessment scores will not affect graduation status.
You can apply for graduation if you have done the following:
- Met with your academic advisor or counselor and determined that you will complete all the coursework required for your degree or certificate this semester or next semester.
- Submitted any and all approved waivers, course substitutions, and/or transfer or life experience credits to the PVCC Admissions & Advising Center for evaluation.
Submit a completed Graduation Application online by the deadline posted on PVCC’s Web site. Applying online accomplishes three important tasks:
- Your official request to graduate is submitted to the Records Office in the Student Services Division. The information you provide will be used to communicate with you about any requirements you still need to complete, and about the commencement exercises if you plan to participate. (Please note that participation in PVCC's commencement ceremony does not denote official certification of a degree or certificate. Your graduation is official only after all curriculum requirements have been met and documented by PVCC’s Records Office.
- You complete the Graduate Exit Survey. The online Graduation Application includes the Graduate Exit Survey. On the survey you are asked to provide feedback about your experience as a student at PVCC and information about your future plans for education and/or employment. Survey results are used to improve PVCC programs and services.
- If you are completing your associate degree, you will receive information about required Exit Assessments in a letter from the Vice President for Instruction and Student Services. This letter will be mailed to you the week after the graduation application deadline for each semester.